Chapter 88

" Mephistopheles says he wants to talk to me about something. . ." Clari awkwardly spoke. She glanced to her left side at Anishaa while adjusting the millions of rolled up flyers in her arms. It was hard to hold everything while walking.

" Did he say about what? Or is he keeping it a secret? Let me guess, he wants to talk to you in private?" Anishaa questioned, all too casually.

" H-how'd you guess?" Clari sheepishly asked. The fire eater laughed.

" It seems like a Mephistopheles move. Just something he would do. In that case, you better wear your nightgown."

" I- pardon!?" Clari frowned, blinking. " What does my nightgown have to do with anything?"

" If he wants to meet you in private. . ." Anishaa raised a brow. " Then there's no way he'll let you leave his room tonight. It's almost dusk. Any later than this, I suspect it will be dark out. If you're meeting in private, my guess is he'll take you up to his chambers. And Clari, trust me. Once you get in there, he won't let you leave the room without him getting into your-"

" Nonono! Not that way!" Clari yelped, hugging the flyers close. " I haven't even mentioned anything about his room!"

" Well, did he say where he wanted to talk!? Exactly??" Anishaa questioned. " If not, trust me I know what he's doing."

" Yes, he said later today while we're in town putting up the flyers and decorations! He just wanted to catch me while I was alone."

" Well?" The fire eater frowned, turning to look around them. " Where is he? That way I can walk off for you two."

The two girls stopped in their tracks in the middle of the sidewalk, glancing around town.

Afternoon had rolled by fast due to everyone who was working at the carnival grounds. Mephistopheles had wanted to stick to his schedule and send performers out to hang up advertisements. What he ended up doing since the job at the circus grounds wasn't finished yet, was splitting everyone up. He assigned Houdini to stay and watch half the performers finish the tents, while he led the others into town for other work.

Mephistopheles had said by tonight the carnival grounds would be ready for use tomorrow. Witnessing the men work together to put up that large tent earlier that morning, she definitely believed it.

" Putting up flyers, obviously." Clari gave a smile. She looked around at the faces on the street, not seeing her ringmaster anywhere.
" He probably walked down a different street than us."

Anishaa shrugged, leading Clari over to the nearest brick wall. The wall they stopped at belonged to a small Cafe shop with white tables, umbrellas, and chairs sitting outside on the pavement. It looked like a cozy little place to eat. Perhaps Mephistopheles would let her visit it some other time before their next move?

Together, while Clari unrolled posters and lifted them up against the bricks, they nailed down their flyers.

" You know. . ." Anishaa breathed through hammer clinks. " You were awfully close with Mephistopheles this morning. . ."

Clari ducked her head, flushing bright red.

" He was all over you as I had predicted! Did you regret your choice of clothes when he was-"

" N-nothing happened!" Clari whined, causing Anishaa to break into laughs. The performer dropped her hammer slightly to her side, grinning at her.

" Sure. Nothing happened my bottom, Clari! Next time around, I'm doing your makeup again. This time though, he won't be allowed to touch you!"