Chapter Seven - Tipping Point

On a cloudy day, Katooni and Team RNJR are walking on a mossy stone path through the wilderness.

Nora: Another day, another adventure!

As Nora said this, Ruby turned to the rest of her team while Jaune was looking at the map.

Ruby: What's on the agenda today?

Jaune: Walking!

Nora: With a side of...?

Ren: Walking.

Ruby sighs at this. She never expected the journey to take her this far from Beacon. 

Ruby: Haven is a lot farther away than I thought.

Ren: Ruby? How long did you think this journey was going to take?

Ruby: I don't know! I grew up in a small area; I've never been this far away from home!

Jaune: Right but... how long?

Ruby: Maybe like, uh... two weeks?

Katooni: However long this journey takes, we must be prepared. Our enemies won't stop. We must be cautious. 

After a moment, Ruby stops something in the distance. As they investigate, they discovered a walled off village. 

Jaune: That's...strange. I didn't think we'd be hitting another village for a few days.

Nora: Are those buildings... damaged?

Katooni: We need to search for survivors!

With that, Katooni and Team RNJR began searching the town for survivors. What they found was an empty town with no sign of life. As they searched, Katooni sensed something strange. 

Ruby: Anything?

Nora: Nothing over here!

Jaune: No one over here, either!

Ren: It almost seems like... the town was abandoned.

Katooni then thought about what could happen. She worried that this was Darth Jadus's doing. She had no way of truly knowing, but she could feel a dark presence lingering here. Soon enough, Nora found something. 

Nora: Hey, I think I found something!

As Nora said this, everyone went to where Nora was. They all saw a sign covered in vines. Nora removed the vines revealing a town's name. 

Nora: Oniyuri? Never heard of it.

Jaune: Me neither.

Ren: I have.

Upon hearing this, Ruby and Nora were surprised by this. Katooni looked around the town and wondered about Ren's possible connection. 

Ren: You might think of it as Anima's Mountain Glenn, had it never been completed. Years ago, the richest members of Mistral were unhappy with how the Kingdom was being run. Frustrated with the council, they pooled their resources together to build their own city, with their own laws. They hoped that one day, it could maybe even become its own Kingdom. Many thought it would be the future.

As Ren said this, he began walking away as he took a deep breath. 

Ren: I know my parents did.

Ruby: What happened?

As Ruby asked that question, Ren was silent for a moment. Katooni could feel a familiar emotion swelling within Ren. 

Ren: What always happens.

Jaune: The Grimm.

Ren: Not just any, one. 

Upon hearing this, Ruby became confused. She turned to Nora who kept her eyes on Ren. Katooni became deeply concerned as the lingering dark presence continued to plague her mind. Her encounter with Darth Jadus as well as her ordeal during Order 66 had deeply affected her. Those events had traumatized her greatly. Despite this, Katooni remained strong in her beliefs. Suddenly, several small black birds began flying the sky above them. 

Jaune: Come on. Let's just get through here. This place gives me the creeps. 

As the group was about to move on, Katooni stopped. Something seemed off. 

Katooni: You all go on ahead. I'll take a look around. 

Ruby: Are you sure? 

Katooni: Don't worry. I won't be far behind. 

Despite not wanting to leave Katooni alone, Team RNJR decided to continue on as Katooni began to search the village. As she searched the village, she was greeted by a familiar face. 

???: Hello, Katooni.

Katooni: Mordred? What are you doing here? 

Mordred: I've been following you and your group for quite some time. I figured this would be the best time to strike. 

Katooni became concerned as Mordred pulled out his double bladed spear. As Mordred cast his eyes on Katooni, she sensed something very wrong. There was something different about Mordred. There was something dark lurking inside him. It was a darkness familiar to her.

Mordred: My master has sent me to dispatch you. 

It was at this moment that Katooni quickly realized what was going on. But more importantly, she realized who Mordred was working for. 

Katooni: Jadus....

Mordred: Walls have ears. Doors have eyes. Trees have voices. Beasts tell lies. Beware the rain. Beware the snow. Beware the man, you think you know.

Katooni: Whatever Jadus is offering you....

Mordred: Darth Jadus has given everything I have wanted. He gave my life purpose. 

Katooni: Why? Why betray your team? 

Mordred: Bold of you to assume that my team isn't servants of Jadus as well.

Upon hearing this, Katooni was at a loss of words. To see that someone she considered a friend was a servant of a powerful Sith Lord deeply troubled her. 

Mordred: Are you ready to meet your fate....Jedi?

As that final word left Mordred's lips, Katooni was in a deep state of shock. No one other than Ozpin was aware of her and her clan's true nature as Jedi. Despite this, Katooni reached for her Lightsaber and prepared to duel Mordred. Katooni and Mordred locked eyes with one another just as they did back at the Vytal Festival. This time however would be different for Katooni and Mordred would be fighting as mortal enemies.