Chapter 1

Midoriya POV

Kacchan and I had a rough friendship growing up. We were inseparable when we were born and as we grew so did our friendship. We did everything together. We slept, we ate, we played. Everything was perfect until that summer day when I was 4. The doctor's office was cold and bland. I was happily sitting on the stool, swinging my legs, while my mum was listening to the doctor. The next second she was scooping me into her arms and crying into my shoulder. 'Mum, what's happening? when am I going to get my quirk?' I questioned. 'I'm sorry Izuku but you're quirkless. You won't get a quirk' She explained. 'Ever?' I whisper. 'Ever' She whispers back. I could feel my world stop and my heart shatter. I was only 4 but I learnt quickly that the world was not fair. My mum spent the whole car ride back apologizing but all I wanted was for someone to tell me it would all be okay and that I could still become a hero. When I got to school the next day I told Kacchan what happened. I thought he would hug me and comfort me but instead he pushed me away. The isolation quickly escalated to threats and threats lead to violence. Even with every burn, every hurtful word, every spider lily left on my desk, I could never bring myself to hate him. Every part of me knew the old Kacchan was still there. When we moved to UA, things quietened down. He became less violent towards me and more distant. He surrounded himself with new friends. I overheard some of them saying he was even going to ask out Kirishima. It's great to watch him move on but it breaks me to watch him move on without me.

I woke up feeling groggy and dizzy but quickly pushed it aside. I downed some painkillers before getting change into my UA uniform. My scarred fingers fumbling with the tie before giving up. I quickly lace up my red sneakers and throw my backpack over my shoulders. I make my way down stairs where Iida, Uraraka, Todoroki, Asui and Shinsou are waiting. 'Took you long enough Midoriya, It's not like you to be late' Iida exclaims. I just bow my head apologetically as we make our way to school. I walk next to Shinsou in silence. He looks extra tired today and has a travel mug, no doubt filled with coffee, in his hand. He turns to look at me and gives me a small nod which I return. We make it up 3 flights of stairs, Iida refusing to let us use the elevators like normal people because 'Stairs are a great training opportunity'. We stand outside the huge 1A door listen to the chaos. Its only 8.45 in the morning and I can already hear Kacchan screaming, Mina excitedly yelling and Denki's loud footsteps. We push open the door and ignore the chaos that in ensuing. I sit at my desk and lay my head down on my arms. My head is pounding with all the noise. Eventually the bell rings and Aizawa-Sensei enters. The class immediately calms down but I can still hear excited whispers. Aizawa briefly goes over our schedule today and the morning notices before crawling into his yellow sleeping head. The class fills up with chatter as I try to zone out.

'Are you ready for tonight?'

'Yeah, It's going to be epic!'

'Hopefully nothing goes wrong'

'I mean we've got permission from Aizawa to use the common room and we've already brought everything'

'I mean all the the planning and buying is already done thanks to a certain someone'

English comes rather quickly. It's hard to concentrate on Mic-Sensei. It's so loud. My head is throbbing with each word and my body feels like it's burning from the inside out. I shrug of my blazer and tug at my tie so it doesn't feel like it's suffocating me. I must be getting sick. I cough again as Kacchan pushes his chair against my desk. 'What the hell is wrong with you? Are you sick? You sound like you're coughing up a lung!' Kacchan says. I apologise and he pulls his chair back up. He gives me a side glance before looking back to the front. I spend most of class with my head laying on the desk. 

Once the bell rings we all make our way to lunch. I grab my lunch before sneaking outside and up to the roof. Sometimes I'll eat up there when I'm having a bad day or just need a break. Most of my friends don't question it. I usually say that I was training or with Hatsume testing out new gear. When I open the door to the roof I realize that I'm not alone. Shinsou is sitting near the railing sipping on a coffee. 'Hey, Mind if I join you?' I question and he nods. 'Having a bad day?' he questions and I sigh. 'Yeah, I just feel icky. I think I might be getting sick' I explain. We eat or more drink our lunch. Shinsou sips his coffee while I down a cup of Miso. When the bell rings Shinsou stands up and stretches before helping me up. 'Well, I guess I'll see you later tonight' He says while waving goodbye. Did we have plans or something to meet up later? I barely have time to question it as I make my way to our final class, quirk training. I grab my hero suit and make my way to a bathroom stall. I never get changed in the common changing area like everyone else. I don't want anyone to question my scars. They may have seen the scars on my arms from overusing my quirk or the big one from a fight with Shigaraki but the ones that stretch along my torso and back are ugly. The skin is twisted and mutilated. I have big explosion scars, small stab scars and one that looks like a spider lily. They had dragged some poor unsuspecting middle schooler with the ability to manipulate scar tissue into doing it. I always hated them so I always kept them covered.  I leave the changing room trying to ignore the whispers. Some of the boys are curious as to what I could be hiding, hopefully they never find out. When we are all changed and ready to go we stand in front of Aizawa and Midnight, waiting for our pairings. I can see Kacchan eyeing me up from where he's standing with the self-proclaimed Bakusquad. I get paired up with Mina so I make my way over and give her a quick smile. We wander over to a small clearing. and get into our fighting stance. She makes the first move by making a small jet of corrosive acid towards me. She's aiming for my gloves knowing my accuracy will fall if she damages them. I quickly dodge and bounce of a wall towards her. She quickly creates an acid veil, covering her entire body. I bounce of the ground near her and towards a small ledge up on the wall. She looks around, on defense, trying to spot me. I charge up OFA dart towards her back. I land a foot on her back which causes her to tumble to the ground. I grab her arms and pin them behind her back while my calf pins her legs down. 'NO FAIR!' she whines. I help her of the ground and make sure she's okay. 'I'm fine, by the way, are you ready for tonight?' she questions while we walk towards our bags. 'What's happening tonight? Are we having another movie night?' I question while grabbing my drink bottle. 'The party is tonight silly!' She giggles while gently punching my arm. Is this what Shinsou was talking about earlier? I wonder what we are celebrating? I was about to question Mina some more when Kacchan gets blasted across the stadium and lands near us. I quickly race over to help him up and check he's okay. 'What the hell are you playing at you damn nerd?!' he yells before walking off. I stand quietly confused as to what I've done but give up trying to figure out. I grab my bag and head back off to the dorms.

I make my way back to my room and pull out my Math textbook. I quickly skim over the pages that are due tomorrow. I grab a pencil and get started. When I finish my Math homework I pull my laptop towards me and get started on a book report about some english classic that Mic-Sensei assigned us. I look up at the clock after finishing my 3rd page. 6.28. Hopefully dinner will be ready soon, I'm hungry. I stretch and begin to reread what I've wrote when I'm interrupted by a harsh knock on the door. I open it up to see Uraraka standing there looking confused. 'Are you coming down? I thought you would've helped up set up and cook but you haven't left your room' She question. I stutter as she grabs my arm and drags me down the stairs. 'What re we even celebrating?' I question and Uraraka looks confused again. 'Bakugou-Kun's birthday... How do you not remember? you planned almost all of this and brought all the decorations?' Uraraka questions. 'You've also planned every birthday party since we were 5' Kacchan says as he and Kirishima come to join the conversation. My head is throbbing as I'm trying to piece together what is happening. I look up at Kacchan confused only to be met with the same look back. I try to apologise but my chest tightens and I start to cough. I clutch onto the railing beside me as my body refuses to take in air. Uraraka rubs my back while Kacchan and Kirishima look on with concern. I finally stop coughing and lift my head up to be met with Kacchan's ruby red eyes piercing into my own. 'Are you okay Deku?' Uraraka questions. 'I'm fine, I'm all good. I think I'm catching a cold, I'll just go to bed early and rest. Happy Birthday Kacchan! I hope you enjoy your party' I ramble while making my way back up to the dorms. I can feel Kacchan's eyes following me up the stairs as he talks to Kirishima. When  I reach my room I push the door open and sit on the floor before falling into another coughing fit. The cough rack my body making my throat hurt. I sit up against my bed throwing my jacket off. I feel so hot. I take off my t-shirt and throw it somewhere across the room. I pull my head between my knees and think.

How did I forget Kacchan's birthday... I'm always great at remembering things. It must just be because I'm sick. I should buy him a present to make up for it. 

I sit on the floor, sweating, as I try to think of a good present for Kacchan but only one question plagues my mind

What does Kacchan even like?

God! Why can't I remember anything?! 

I grab my phone to text Uraraka. Maybe she will have some ideas.

Green Lightning: Hey Uraraka!

Bubble Girl: Hey Deku, How are you feeling?

Green Lightning: Like I got hit by a train but I was actually texting to ask you something

Bubble Girl: What do you need?

Green Lightning: I feel really bad for forgetting Kacchan's birthday so I want to buy him a gift to apologise but I can't remember what he likes. Do you have any ideas?

Bubble Girl: You're kidding me, right Deku? You've been his friend since childhood! You know everything about him!

Green Lightning: Friend is a stretch... It's just my head isn't working. I think It's because I'm sick

Bubble Girl: I'm coming up to check on you, stay in your room

I put my phone down beside me and wait. Soon a soft knock could be heard. I answered the door as Uraraka gently pushed her way into my room. 'Why aren't you wearing a shirt?' she questioned. 'It's really hot' I answer. 'Deku, It's actually kind of cold in your room, have you got the AC going or a window open?' she questions. I point towards the open window by the balcony and Uraraka moves to close it. 'Is it okay is I check your forehead?' She questions and I nod. She gently places her hand against my head and quickly removes it. 'You're really hot to the touch' she says. She helps me into bed and gets a wet cloth to put on my head. 'It's really weird for you to forget stuff even if you're sick. I watched you write a card for Thirteen's Birthday with the flu and we've only met her twice' Uraraka explains. I nod before speaking up. 'So any ideas on what to get Kacchan?' I question. 'I'm sure you'll work something out but for now you need to get some rest' Uraraka says while getting up. 'Your phone is on charge next to the bed. Text me if you need something or start to feel worse' She says before turning off the light and closing the door. I push the covers off me before letting sleep claim me.