Chapter 9

Days after the tea party, I found myself growing tired of all the childish pranks they kept throwing at me. So I decided to completely ditch school for the day and wander around town. Thinking about it... I would probably get a scolding but it's worth the trouble.

I made sure to dress casually with brown knee-length trousers and a simple white dress shirt tucked into it. I put on a darker brown cap and my least dressiest black shoes with white mid-calf socks. I had stared at myself in the mirror for a while, thinking I really looked no older than a kid.

Depressing thought, yes, but that wasn't going to ruin my day off!

I wasted no time in heading out. I breathed in the Central Town's busy air happily. "This is really the best!"

Looking around, the steampunk-esque designs were far more prominent than on school grounds. Aside from the small ornaments that adorned the uniform and the Campus, nothing extraordinary differentiated it from my previous life.

On the streets of Central Town, you could see a variety of machinations that blew out the occasional steam. Buildings were surprisingly neat with no disorder, and to top it all off there was no pollution in the air!

"Must be the magic's doing," I nodded in thought. It made sense, being prominently available and the only variable that remained unique to this world, nothing was short of impossible. In fact the mesh of both magic and science and occasionally alchemy you could have an entire millennial of stability! I looked at the windows and took note of the items that each store held in stock.

Trinkets that shone in the colours of the rainbow, a miniature mechanical cat and dog, stationary that were designed for the girl audience and apparels that held lines from classical all the way to exotic. By the end of it all I was feeling quite satisfied!

The sky was beginning to dye itself orange, so I took it as my cue to return to school grounds.

That's when I saw it.

The adventurer's insignia and its grand building. I shook my head. "No, no, no, I'm here to live, not due in a ditch somewhere!"

But I really needed the money...

"Nope! Not enough to die!" So I sucked in a breath and marched all the way to school grounds— at least I tried to.

"You there! Kid! Hand 'ver all yer money!"

Good lord, that was the most cri guest line someone could say in this cliché area... I almost want to crawl in a hole and die for him!

I continued on my way, not realizing that the cringy line was meant for me until a large hand fell on my shoulder. "I was talkin' to ya, kid!"

And by instinct, I threw him over my shoulder. Hold on... why was it so easy to throw? Where did all his mass go?! The man was well built so there was no way he was a scrawny stick... oh well, nothing would come to me now. I shrugged and kept walking. The school gates would close after all.

—•—

This may not be enough to compensate three weeks of not updating, but it's all I've got until I churn up some more future chapters. So there won't be much posting until I get a decent amount ready to go. Look forward to it!