2| off-limits

The bright sun knocked on the large, glass windows, waking Solàna from her peaceful slumber. Her eyes creaked open, as she slowly sat up from her comfortable position, her skin brushing against her Egyptian-cotton sheets. A cool draft from her air conditioner softly greeted her face, caressing the stray hairs that escaped from her silk bonnet. Solàna unplugged her phone from her charger, twisting her nose and lips in confusion after noticing the missing switches on the socket.

Why doesn't America have switches on their sockets?

She checked her social media, scrolling through Instagram and rolling her eyes the unnecessary drama being entertained online.

Having enough of her phone next to her eyes, she got out of her incredibly comforting bed and headed to her en-suite. Staring at her reflection in the mirror she reminded herself of the ignorant event that took place the previous night: Jhené disrespecting her mother unprovoked. Solàna dampened her eyes with cold water and began her hygiene routine whilst her favourite music artists played in the background.

Finishing her morning routine, she went through one of her suitcases and slipped a red sweatshirt over her head. She pulled black leggings over her legs and crossed to the other side of her room, where her shoe stand sat, picking out a pair of trainers to go with her outfit. Though she had only just moved in less than twenty-four hours ago, Solàna had already tried to organise her things, simply because she dislikes being untidy. She stood in front of her mirror, defining her 4c curls as they juicily perched past her shoulders, and applied light makeup, followed by her grabbing her phone and other essentials before putting them in her pockets, leaving her room, knocking on her brother's door.

"Ry? You awake?" no response.

Solàna creaked open his door, peeping through the gap to find him sinking into his sheets, dozing softly. Sighing, Solàna closed the door and turned on her heel, bumping into a smiling Bernie.

"Good morning, miss Solàna. I expect you slept well?" he spoke cheerfully, raising his head high in the air. He was dressed in a neat suit, the same as last night. Maybe it's a uniform.

She slightly jumped, as he, yet again, crept up on her. "Good morning, Bernie. I'm good, you?"

"Ah, well I am feeling spectacular this morning! Mr Nyugen has decided to cancel the family breakfast, probably because of the unexpected conflict last night. You can head down to the kitchen and prepare something for yourself, or maybe one of our staff can help you. Have a good day, miss Solàna."

"Oh- You don't need to call me Miss-" before Solàna could finish her sentence, Bernie had already travelled to another floor, very quickly.

Strange.

Solàna followed Bernie's advice and went to the kitchen, her head slowly swaying to the music she was listening to. On her way to her destination, she made sure to politely greet all the staff, staying aware of her surrounding so that she won't get lost, again.

Opening the familiar, grand, white doors, Solàna stepped into the kitchen and immediately felt the urge to leave.

"Oh, uh, I could...come back. Sorry." Solàna turned her back to Jhené and a girl sitting across from her. They both looked up from a screen, Jhené's content face instantly scrunching up in distaste and the unknown girl smiling up at Solàna.

"Not so fast babes." the girl stopped Solàna. She looked at Jhené, "You didn't tell me your stepsister is this pretty. Damn. Might have to marry her." she spun to face Solàna, leaning close to her face, "Is your brother as cute as you?" she giggled, "Hi, I'm Dallas, Jhené's bestie."