Fright Night Short - 2

"Why would a woman ever live this far out?" Red thought to herself, "Especially an old woman, all by herself." Red knew that her grandmother was one of those people who thought the government was out to get her, she got off the "grid", but that didn't mean that Red understood it. Red didn't go anywhere without her phone. She walked through the words, and though the trees were spaced out, she kept tripping over things. Sometimes thick tree roots that broke free of the ground, and sometimes tripwire that turned on flood lights that blinded her. She couldn't drive her car to get there and a cellphone jammer cut her off from the rest of the world, so she was all alone. But when Grandma called, you came running. Red heard the fear of her gram's voice on the phone, and her gram was never easy to scare, so she ran even faster to her. She saw the cabin doors, skipped a little faster to it, and swung open the door to get into the light. Her grandmother was sitting there. "Oh Grandmama, what enormous eyes you have." Her eyes were wide and dead in her face. "What pale skin you have." Grandma was looking a touch gray. "What red blood you have." The blood dripped from the wound in her neck, nice and fresh. "You're finally here Red," came a sweet deep voice behind her. A chill went down her spine, though she knew who it was as he came around her and into view. He was slightly corporeal, and he had blood flowing down from his red-stained teeth. But to her, her boyfriend still looked sexy. "You couldn't have done this in the daytime? We both know Ghouls aren't afraid of the sun." Gabriel just smirked at her. "It's about time, anyway. Do you know how long ago I asked you to take care of her? I don't think I could stand another day bringing supplies out to this old bitty and listening to her crazy talk." Well, it's done now, babe." Gabriel threw his arm around Red's shoulder and they walked out the front door. "Let's go eat, I'm still hungry."