Page 93 - 96

I'm in the snow desert now, but something doesn't feel right. It never feels right here, but this time it's different, like there's somebody here with me. And not that strange hooded figure that sometimes appears before I wake up.

I look around, but there's nobody here. I pout and start to walk forward, thinking that I should probably get on with it. I've become obsessed with trying to reach that village, sometimes I would run for however long it took me to wake up, and sometimes I would simply fall into a brisk walk. Occasionally, I would try to resist, sitting in the cold ice until my butt felt frozen, most of the time I would give up though and plow on just for something to do, but on the rare occasions when my self-control wins out, I'm left sitting with all my thoughts.

For the first time, I actually feel kind of comfortable with my thoughts. Like I found a part of me that I had long since forgotten. I know that makes me sound like a crazy person. But perhaps underneath all the glamour and the defenses, we're all a little crazy. Yeah, that's the kind of thoughts you have when you're all alone in a strange snow-covered place you've never been to that you for some reason keep visiting your dreams.

I shake my head and carry on walking forward, only looking up when I hear the sound of laughing children. I am stunned, I never hear any sounds in this place besides the anguished howl of the wind or the cry of a bird that I can never spot. When I look up though, I am elated to find that I am just a few miles away from the village. If I run really fast, I could make it to the gates in a matter of minutes.

I get so excited, I don't notice the shadow creeping up behind me till it grabs my arm. I turn around in horror, eyes wide as saucers when I realize that Donavin the man-giant is now standing before me, nose still bloody, both eyes purple, and jaw hanging slightly in the wrong place.

He looks worse than Zack.

"Wer' you going, 'weetheart?" he said, voice still nasalized.

I glance behind me, at the village just beyond reach. If I shout now, will they hear me? Will they come help if they do? I hear a scream, followed by the giggle of children playing in the streets.

I try to pull away from him, "Please! Just let me go!"

"'fraid I can't do dat, 'weetheart," he smiles a manic smile.

I could feel hot tears making their way down my cheek, which will probably freeze before it even hits the ground.

"Please!" I sob, then thrash and sob some more when I realise it's no good.

Then Miguel steps out from behind him.

I stop thrashing, feeling sick with Donavin still touching me.

"Miguel?" he just looks at me, face blank. No emotion whatsoever, like he doesn't even hear me, and two more guys step out from behind him. I don't know where they are coming from, it's like they're materializing out of thin air. With a lurch to my gut, I realize those other two guys were there that night with Miguel. The same ones that held me down, forced the drugs down my throat, then laughed while they beat me up...

"You don't have to do this," I whisper to Miguel, with a feeling of pure terror when I realize what these people might do to me now.

Like it is perfectly choreographed, they all grin at the same time and advance closer to me. I scream, kick, and flay my arms, then scream some more, till my throat is hoarse and I don't know who I am and what is happening.

Then I open my eyes, not remembering when I closed them, and see that I am alone. Again. In that dark void, with only a white bobbing orb of light that seems so fascinating and dangerous. The light flickers, then goes out completely, so that I am once again engulfed by the darkness, which doesn't seem so scary anymore.

I gasp and open my eyes.

Zack is shaking me, somebody is screaming and I hear urgent whispers from voices I don't think hard enough to place.

It takes me a second to realize that the person screaming is me.

"Demi? Dem! Are you OK? Hey, wake up! It's just a nightmare, I'm right here. You're OK. Hey-" he lifts my face, so I am staring at his bruised one, "speak to me."

When he takes his hand away from my face, it is wet. It takes me another second to realize that it's from the tears soaking my face.

I try to speak, but all that came out is a whimper. That sound alone makes my throat feel like it's bursting into flames. My face crumples and I begin sobbing. Crying in front of people had never been my thing. It's when people see you at your weakest or happiest. You have to pull down your defenses to willingly let people see you cry. Right now, I don't think I had the strength to lift a stone, much less build a wall.

Zack wraps his arms around me and pulls me to him. I bury my face into his neck, hiding from the world. I breath in. His scent has become so familiar to me. Musky and manly. I don't know how long he holds me like that, but when he starts to gently pull himself away from me, I know I don't' want him to. I hold on tighter, not caring who is in the room watching. All I care about is that this guy made me feel safe, and he is all I need right now.

Hours could have passed before I finally let go of him, but Mom was softly saying my name, so I reluctantly let go and lift my head. She is standing in the doorway, clutching onto Jarred like a lifeline.

And I'm the ticking time bomb that's about to blow.

Jarred looks a little shocked, which I can understand as I have been clinging onto his son for a while now. I try a smile, but mom's face showes that it's more of a grimace than a pleasant greeting.

Zack is still holding onto me, I think he might actually be sleeping. I gently tug at the ends of his hair to let him know that I am fine, and he should let go before his dad has a mini heart attack. He takes the sign and pushes away, still holding my arms lightly. I lift my hand and trace the bruises on his face.

"You OK?" he asks, his voice a husky whisper.

I nod, I still don't think my voice could take talking.

"I'll be right here if you need me," he smiles, though his face is tense, then lets go of me completely and steps to the back of the room. Mom rushes forward. The sudden movement startles me and I push myself away from her. She looks hurt, so I try to mend it by smiling shyly. I think it looks better this time, as she smiles back.

"How are you feeling?"

I lift a thumbs up.

"Is your voice saw?"

I pout and nod.

"You want to go home?"

I nod more enthusiastically.

I try to get out of bed, and she makes to help me. I jerk away from her touch. SHer eyes are wide as she backs away with her hands in the air as if I was the police threatening to shoot and she is a thief, wary and surrendering for her crime. I hate myself for making her feel like that.

Zack hesitates from the back wall, then slowly makes his way over to help me from the bed. I let him. Mom only looks a small bit betrayed as Jarred scrutinizes us closely like we have some big secret he is trying to crack.

I sigh and, with Zacks help, made my way out of the hospital.

Again.