Something else at work

Jinx

"I fail to understand the reason for the stone." a voice inside my head says. I turns to look at my silver white horse.
"The stone is one of the many ingredients I need to make the blade of Ragé."  I reply.
"So i take it we have more ingredients to find."
"That is correct, Yashi" Yashi is my Animéga.  A shape shifter in the common tongue. Not many are left as they were hunted by men. They thought that Animégas gave us more power, so they hoped that by kiiling them we would be weaker. Little did they know that Animégas are the companions of mages and have no power of their own other than to ttansform into any beast they desire. In the old days of war, Animégas were used in war as the last line of defense. They were how we were assured victory.
"We travel tomorrow to gather the last of the ingredients. Then we shall voyage to the kingdom in the mountains to forge the blade." I explain as I load supplies onto Yashi's back. Yashi sighs before saying,
"Is it worth it?"
"We shall see. There is something else at work here. I just haven't figured out what."
I reply and climb onto Yashi's back and we take off to visit a certain mage. One I wouldn't be visiting if I had another choice.

Ariel

In a world of such uncertainty, I fail to figure out what I want anymore. Father has sent word for the mage although I doubt he will reply, I mean, everyone knows my father. He was merciless in battle and killed many mages. All mages had reason to hate him, why would anyone help him.

"Do you think he will show?" Azriel asks, breaking me from my thoughts. We were taking a walk after the meeting we had with the elders and to be honest, I don't remember a single word that was said. It's wrong of me, I know, as the future king I should be more observative and wise and whatnot, but I am not sure if I want the throne, I know that I am far from ready for it. Azriel doesn't want the responsibility either. We are sitting with quite the paradox. I want to make father proud, but not in the way he wants. I would want peace with the Mages, after all they are people just like us, just a little different and mother taught us that there is nothing wrong with being different.

"I am not sure." I answer Azriel's question.
"Father won't stike a deal with him. You and I both know this."
"I know."
"We need to find this mage before he does."
I stop walking to look at Azriel, "How do you suppose to do that? Even if we did get it right, father would be infuriated."
"True. But I've never cared for what father has to say. Mother always taught us to fight for what's right, and this Ariel, is not right." Azriel walks away. He had a point, but there is something else at work here, I can feel it.

Jinx

After a few days of riding, we finally arrived at the small villiage outside the kingdom in the mountains. I dismount and lead Yashi to a stable where I pay the stable boy to look after him by giving him food and water while I go and visit the notorious mage. I walk through the small villiage that reeks of fear. It would seem the mages have been busy. I pass a bakery and smell the sweet smell of sugar bread. It's not literally sugar bread, more like small rolls of bread with a sugary icing glazed over it. To eat it was to become a child. My mother would bake it for us every weekend. I enter the store and buy three rolls. The baker looked pleased with the sale as I paid him more than he needed. As a mage i could conjure mountains of wealth, but what would be the point? After all, money can't buy life and happiness, only things to define it. That being said, I would donate to poor towns like this every time I came across one, and that was where I was heading next, the city hall's donation box. And maybe if I was being chivalrous I would cast a spell on the grounds by the farms to become fertile. My small duty I promised myself after the life I've lived, to always help those in need. But only when it was safe for me, many mage hunters live in small villiages like these, one wrong move could have me hunted for days.

I finally arrived at the doorstep of the local healer. I sighed and knocked. A man opened the door and smiled when he saw me.
"Jinx, my darling, how lovely to see you." the man greeted. His golden blonde hair was combed backwards and he wore a loose green shirt and black pants. His deep golden brown eyes stared back at me.
"Hello, Fabian." I greeted back. He let me in. I suppose you are wondering why would I dislike this particularly kind sounding mage so I'll tell you why: Fabian is an egotistical, narcissistic, self centered bastard. Why is he a healer, you might now also be wondering. Well lets just say that Fabian heals with his charms. Unfortunately for him, his charms don't work on everyone. I take that back, they don't work on me, and this irritates him.

"Miss me?" he asked.
"More than you can imagine." I say sarcastically. The only way through Fabian is to tell him what he wants to hear, "I need something from you."
"You can have anything you want." He says taking a step forward.
I smile, "Silver dust." I inquire.
He looks taken aback, "What would a mage like you want with Silver dust?"
"I suppose it is none of your business, isn't it." I say walking forward until I stand inches away from him. Fabian swallows with the close proximity. He lifts his hand and a pouch hangs from it by a leather strap.
"You can have it for a price." he says. I lift my eyebrow at him, "A kiss."
I moves closer to him and when our lips are millimeters apart, i whisper, "No." and take the pouch and leave without a glance back. I smile as I hear him breath out. I think he forgets that he is not the only one who knows how to play this game.

I head over to an inn to spend the night before i continue my journey. As I lay on the bed i rented, i feel this strong pull in my core. I gasp and grip my chest, suddenly out of breath. What was that?