Water

Ariel

"Are you okay, son?" mother asks holding my shoulder. I grunt holding my head,

"Something is happening to Jinx. We need to attack now." I tell her. Mother nods then signals for everyone to start preparing.

"Come." mother says to me. She leads me into a tent, inside the tent, armour rests on a makeshift mannequin made of two branches tied in a cross shape, "Get ready."

I nod amd stare at the armour. There was a certain bluish tint to the steel and the breastplate had a pattern of feathers. Leather straps connect the front and back of the armour, the forearm guards have the same pattern as the breatsplate and a blue shirt, brown leather pants and boots are laid on a small table next to the armour.

Once I changed and was struggling with my forearms, Axel enters fully dressed and armed. He heads over to me and helps me with the guards. He then moves over to the leather straps of my armour and tightens it a little.

"You know, you're not so bad little brother." I say once Axel is done. He smiles softly,

"I know I didn't make much effort these past few days to get to know you better," Axel begins.

"Hey," I interrupt, "It's okay, we'll have plenty of time after today." He smiles at me and I can see the doubt in his eyes at my statement. He eyes of a warrior going into battle, not sure if they are going to see the rising sun the next day. It was a bit awkward but we didn't survive the battle, it wouldn't matter, so I hugged him. I was shocked when he hugged me back. I suddenly missed Azriel, I don't know if I am ever going to see him again. I pull away and pat Axel's shoulder before leaving the tent.

Jinx

We were once again shoved into a cell after Zachary got his weapons. I grunt as I stand from where I was thrown on the floor and dust myself off. Yashi crawls over to me in lizard form.

"Oh, Yashi." I exclaim, picking him up.

Let's never leave each other again. He says in my palms

Never I reply. I place him into the inner pocket of my jacket and look around the room.

"We need to do something to warn Fiona." I say and begin pressing my hands against the cold walls.

"Jinx," Azriel says making me turn to him, he looks ashamed with what he has done, "Is it true? That the swords can take away the powers of a mage?"

"Yes," I say, "The swords take the magic away, but without our magic we become nothing and turn to ash." He looks at me concerned, "Which is why we need to warn your mother." I turn back to the wall.

"How is the wall going to help you warn my mother?" Azriel asks coming to stand next to me.

"If I remember correctly, the cells are built close to the water inside the mountains, making the sealing spells on the cells stronger." I say moving to the left, my hands still on the wall.

"Okay, and?"

"If I can find the closest source of water, I can send a message to Fiona." I say stopping when I am near the edge of the wall. I feel the rushing of water deep in the earth as it flows.

"How are you going to do that?"

"Shh!" I say. I concerntrate on the water through the wall and place my head against the cold wall. I finally feel a small click in my mind, letting me know that I have made a connection.

Ariel

Axel and I were standig in my mother's tent as she goes over the plans for the battle when we heard a voice break through the air.

Fiona? Can you hear me?

Mother looks around, trying to find the source of the sound. Her eyes fall on the bucket of water near the edge of the tent.

"Jinx?" she replies looking at the water, "Where are you?"

Oh, you can hear me. An excited voice answers I wasn't sure if this was going to work. I'm at the castle. Listen, Zachary has gotten through the room down in the basement.

"How? Only I can open it."

He forced Azriel to do it. He has magic too, Fiona. I forgot to tell you. Sorry. He's here with me right now, actually. But that doesn't matter. Fiona, you need to be careful! You have no way to stop him, especially since he now has the swords.

"Don't worry, I'll have it handled." mother replies. When there is no reply, she looks at me, "The connection is gone."

I gulp and look down at my feet, feeling suddenly guilty of how I ended things with Jinx. Mother smiles at me as though she knows what I'm thinking,

"They'll be okay."

Jinx

I pull away from the wall when a sound breaks my concentration. I look at Azriel who looks to the door.

"Zachary has an entire armoury of swords. How many does my mother have?" he whispers to me.

I sigh, "One" Azriel looks at me as I step away from the wall and roll up the left sleeve of my shirt. On my forearm is a tattoo of a sword, only it wasn't a tattoo, it was the sword I forged those many nights ago. I make my right hand glow blue and hover it over my arm. The tattoo of the sword disappears slowly and the sword forms in my left hand. I smile. I switch the sword in my hands and take position as the door of our cell unlocks. I push Azriel behind me and as soon as the door opens, I pull the guard closer with magic with my left hand and and plunge the sword into his chest with my right. The man falls limp to the floor. I take the keys from him and place it into my pocket.

"Follow me." I say. Azriel grabs the sword from the guard's belt and follows. I walk with my sword pointed forwards and my left hand balancing my weight, as I was taught by Axel when I was younger, as we walk through the hall, "Where is your father?" I ask Azriel

"I'm not sure." he replies. I sigh and contunue to walk. I hear a cough from one of the cells and head towards it quickly. I take the keys out my pocket and unlock the door. I walk inside and find Fabian lying on the ground.

"Fabian!" I breath and rush to his side. I place my sword next to me and place my hands on his chest. They glow yellow and my magic flows into him as he begins to heal.

"I knew you wouldn't forget about me." he says with a weak smile.

"How could I forget about you?" I joke back. After a few moments Lilo sits up holding his chest.

"Where's my father?" Azriel asks him.

"They took him a while ago. I don't know where." I place my hand on Fabian's shoulder and help him up. I pick up my sword and support his weight by draping his arm over my shoulders.

"We need to go. Fiona will be here soon." I say.