Tainted Love

Chapter 1: Tainted Love

If you have not read 'Cruel and Beautiful World' then this story will not make much sense to you, but give it a try if you'd like.

The door to the quiet building burst open, the gust of wind that came in with its residents causing it to swing with a bit more oomph than usual.

The only five people to have lived inside of these walls for the past five years entered, still laughing over something ridiculous Bronson had said in the carriage ride home.

The moment they were out of view, Hermione removed the spells she had placed to alter her face, returning it to normal. Draco smiled and kissed her perfect lips instantly.

He held firmly onto her hand as he led everyone up the stairs, keeping her close and wrapping his arm all the way around her when she looked a little cold. She hugged him in return, pressing her head into his shoulder as she anticipated giving him his Christmas present in just a few short minutes.

Even as they passed Bronson and Quigley's door on the third floor, the wizards kept walking with the others, having planned a quick toast ahead of time since they knew Draco would be eager to kick them out so he and Hermione could have some privacy.

They all walked up to the top floor, Draco unlocking the door with both a spell and a key before heading inside, taking off his shoes and staring sternly at each person who entered behind him so they would be sure to do the same.

Once the shoes were off and the cloaks were hung, Bronson hurried into the kitchen, pulling out the cookies he had baked just for them followed by the spiked eggnog.

"I hate that shit," said Draco crinkling his nose in disgust at the beverage.

"Well, too bad because you're bloody drinking it," said Bronson.

"Can I help you with anything?" asked Hermione, the only one to stick around while Draco, Theo and Quigley all went outside for a Muggle cigarette.

"No, just make sure you don't eat too much so you're not full when you give Malfoy his present later." Bronson glanced up at her and winked.

Hermione blushed but still smiled. She glanced over her shoulder to make sure the others were out of earshot. "He told me he loved me earlier," she said nervously.

Bronson nearly choked on ... well, nothing, since his mouth was empty. Just his own air. "What? When?"

"Just before we left," Hermione answered. She paused and looked towards the floor. "I didn't say it back."

"And why the bloody hell not?" demanded Bronson. "You know you do."

"You're right, I do," she said looking up at him. "But the moment I say it out loud to him everything changes. I'm supposed to leave here, leave him, and knowing that already tears me apart inside, and that's before saying those words!" As she spoke, tears began to form in her eyes, one escaping and dripping down her cheek.

Bronson reached forward and wiped it. "Calm down, Hermione. It's just bloody words. If you already feel them then saying them won't change anything. In this world we live in you can't be afraid to tell people exactly how you feel because you never know how much time you have left with them. Cherish your time with Malfoy, don't tarnish it by belittling your feelings."

Hermione smiled softly at him. "Aren't you the one who told me people like us can never forget who he is?"

"I don't think you have," he said.

"Or maybe your tune has just changed because you have your own Death Eater to think about." She glanced over her shoulder again and looked at Theo.