in my web

It felt like a shorter lunch than it really was. Paul ate all of his soup, but only half his sandwich, while Gene dove into both with as much relish as usual. In fact, he ate two sandwiches and Paul's leftovers.

"I hope you didn't want to do it right after we ate," Gene said awkwardly. Paul was looking at the plates and silverware, debating cleaning things up. In the end, he just wiped off the counter and stuck all the dishes in the sink.

"Nah. Give it awhile." He shrugged. "The only trouble is, we've pretty much exhausted all our entertainment options at my place."

Gene smiled.

"Paul, are you really telling me all you have over here is a T.V., an album collection, and some self-help books?"

"I've also got sketchpads. And painting supplies."

"You still paint?"

Paul shrugged again.

"It's not great. I don't have time to really..."

"Let me see."

Gene was actually a pretty fair artist. He never drew cartoons of his bandmates like Paul was prone to, in a bad mood, but he liked to sketch out comic book characters. He'd never taken any classes that Paul knew of, but he was talented. Talented enough that Paul was a little wary of showing him any of his efforts.

It occurred to him how stupid that was. He was about to fuck this guy—had spent the last four nights in bed with him, even—but somehow showing him some acrylic paintings was making him nervous. Somehow what passed for his body of work was more vulnerable than his actual body.

"Yeah, okay."

"Cool."

"C'mon, they're in the guest bedroom. I'm surprised you didn't find them earlier." He'd had aspirations of having his own studio, or at least using one of the rooms for that express purpose, before the reality of nine or ten months on the road at a time hit him. He didn't even paint enough while he was at home to justify that kind of expense.

Gene followed him over to the guest bedroom. Paul leaned over, dress hiking up as he yanked some cardboard and canvases out from under the bed.

"Here we go." Instead of holding the pieces up for Gene's inspection, he just set them out on the bed. He hung back a bit, heart thumping, not quite daring to want to watch Gene look at his work. Actually showing it to Gene felt a little like hearing his own voice on the answering machine, or the echo from a microphone, all the flaws bouncing back at him, magnified a dozen times.

The pieces didn't have too much meaning behind them, nothing really far out or deep he was trying to convey. Bright streaks of color, some of it in splatters, but most of it in strokes, with no consistent pattern. Purples and pinks tended to dominate. There were points where he'd tried to layer on the colors, fooled around with it, only he'd half-forgotten the proper technique to do it the way he wanted. Most of the art didn't really have a focal point, except for an odd one-off where he'd tried to paint a sunset while it was still in the air. That one was on a piece of cardboard torn off a refrigerator box. It had maybe a found art, rustic quality to it or something. And the color scheme wasn't too bad, either, the red sun spilling over a hasty backdrop of orange and pink clouds and trees instead of his neighbors' houses.

"I like this one a lot."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Superman couldn't fly with that sun." Gene picked up the piece of cardboard carefully—too carefully, a piece of paper that had been beneath it starting to flutter towards the floor. Paul snatched it before it got there.