Chapter 11: "The empty hearse, Act II"

Hermione was woken up by the sound of her phone on the bedside table. She moaned and opened one eye to look at the alarm clock. It was nine o'clock. She didn't know what time she had fallen asleep the night before, with everything that had happened, and with a very much alive Sherlock banging around Baker Street like a hyperactive puppy. Hermione lay down again and reached for the phone.

"Yes?"

"Did you know it?"

Hermione opened her eyes again and sat up on the bed. "John?"

"I don't have much time, and the next patient is about to arrive. Did you know Sherlock was alive?"

Hermione rubbed his face with a sigh. "No, I didn't. Mycroft didn't think telling me was a great idea."

John was quiet for a moment. "Why didn't he?"

"I would have told you, John."

"That's what Mary said."

"What now, then?" asked Hermione. "Are you going to come around? I can be here if only to avoid explaining to Mycroft why his brother is going around London sporting a shiner." John let an embarrassed chuckle. "You pack a great punch, Captain."

"Well, he sprung on us while we were at the restaurant. And after that, he was just the usual self-absorbed prick. He had it coming, well, he always has it coming."

Hermione heard some steps that she knew very well on the stairs, accompanied by the voice of Mycroft and Sherlock. "Did he interrupted you?"

"He did," John said. "I ended up proposing to Mary in our bathroom while she checked my knuckles. Very romantic."

Hermione heard a rare Mycroft's outburst in the sitting room. "I'm sure she didn't mind, I told you she's not the grand gestures kind of person."

John hung up shortly after, and Hermione left the room as she was putting on her dressing gown. The first thing she saw was Mycroft, by the fireplace, throwing a woollen hat at Sherlock. When she entered the kitchen, Mrs Hudson was coming in with the morning teapot. Sherlock sniffed at the hat and flung it back to Mycroft.

"I've written a blog about the different fibres."

"I'm sure there's a crying need for that," quipped Mrs Hudson, and brought a cup to Hermione. The two brothers then noticed Hermione, and she felt the urge to close her dressing gown a little better. Sherlock looked at her for a moment and then turned to Mycroft. As they continued their particular battle of egos, Hermione saw the game of Operation on the coffee table, and then the massive map on the far wall of the room.

"I'm not lonely, Sherlock," said Mycroft. Sherlock glanced at Hermione.

"Clearly," said Sherlock, and took the hat off his head. Mycroft exchanged a look with Hermione and changed the subject. "Now, back to work, if you don't mind," said Mycroft. Hermione watched Sherlock wink at Mrs Hudson and heard Mrs Hudson's giggle. She brought the cup to her lips. Her mouth had suddenly gone dry, and the buttons on the shirt Sherlock was wearing, which looked like they would open at any moment, were not helping. "Hermione, a word."

Hermione followed Mycroft to the landing, where he closed the two doors to the floor. Hermione crossed her arms and waited as two people approached each door.

"I stand by what I said last night," started Mycroft. "You were not part of the operation, so I couldn't tell you. Nor could I tell you I was hiding something. You would have joined the dots, as they say."

"How did you let him get so out of control, Mycroft?" hissed Hermione. "You couldn't tell me anything because you did not want to damage the operation, but then you let your brother gallivant around the globe? Even someone like Philip Anderson could see the pattern, for God's sake!"