14. Celestiana

Before Althya got the chance to resume her questioning, a girl entered

Before Althya got the chance to resume her questioning, a girl entered. Her long tawny coloured hair was tied atop of her head and tumbled down to below her chest, bouncing with every stride. A peach-coloured backless dress hung from straps too thin to trust and above her knees, leaving her cleavage on full view. It was entirely unfit for the early spring weather. Cassandra looked like her usual self.

Celest jumped up, as a wide grin spread across her face and she sped to her. "Cassy!" Celest wrapped her arms around her. "I missed you."

Cassandra hesitated before placing her hands on Celest's shoulders.

Celest overlooked the stinging feeling. Her sister had indeed remained the same. With a sigh, she broke the embrace and backed a step, and hid her disappointment with a smile. She had hoped it would please Cassandra to see her, but maybe that was too much to ask. She didn't spot the ghost of a sentiment a sibling would possess for its younger sister.

"You haven't changed a bit," Celest said, the lightness in her voice covering the bitterness.

Cassandra offered a tight-lipped smile that didn't reach her honey-coloured eyes. "I'm just surprised you're here, thought you were on the run with that human lover of yours."

Celest pressed her lips into a thin line, her body stiffening. Althya shot Cassandra a warning glare.

The last thing they needed was the Lord to witness the two sisters fight. Celest returned to her seat and gracefully sat down. Instead of glaring at her older sister, she settled on glowering at the coffee table.

Cassandra ignored the rest and walked towards Nikolus and stopped before him. "My Lord," she chirped and bowed deep. She might as well had kneeled, giving an unrestricted view of her cleavage.

Nikolus shifted with discomfort, accompanied by a curt nod of acknowledgment before setting his gaze on the wall behind Celest's parents.

It took Celest's sheer willpower to not burst into giggles. A quick glance in Arthur's way ensured he wasn't doing much better either, with his head hanging low, shaking with silent laughter. Celest bit her lip and covered her mouth.

Cassandra rose to her feet and sauntered to an armchair on Althya's left.

Celest kept her grin hidden beneath her palm. It amazed her how her family made a High Lord that had the royals and lords in the palm of his hand, the man that the entire realm feared and respected, so discomfited.

Cassandra positioned herself in a manner that displayed the most skin possible without staining her modesty, hiding Elliot from Celest's sight. Oberon glowered at her eldest daughter, but she paid him no heed and propped her elbow on the armrest, her eyes fixed on Nikolus. "Lord Nik, it's so lovely to have you here again, although I do wish to see more often of you."

Nikolus nodded, "I appreciate your kind words, lady Cassandra."

She parted her red painted lips to speak, but Althya's hand shot up, the golden bracelet twirled around her wrist caught the light as she signalled her to stop. Cassandra glared at her mother before leaning back in her chair with a huff.