CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE

Beverly Bennet is the quintessential lady of leisure

Beverly Bennet is the quintessential lady of leisure. She might wear white diamonds and authenticated pearls, but her wealth is that of old money. Her father was one of the wealthiest aristocrats in Britain. From a young age, she acquired calm graciousness, fashionable refinement and an elegant posture. Her etiquette is integrated and demonstrated with every poised movement. She occupied the stand like an unmovable mannequin. Crossing her legs at the knees, she braced her threaded fingers on her lap. Her ash-blonde hair weaved into a loose criss-cross bun. Her sky-blue eyes, piercingly judgmental, complemented her regal trouser suit and cerulean suede kitten heels.

"When did you broach the subject with your daughter, Mrs Bennet?"

The prosecution barrister was in her sights. "Almost instantly."

"Can you share those concerns with the courtroom?"

"Well, I found my daughter wailing one evening." Her stare went to the jurors. "My Hellen seldom expressed emotion, especially tears. Her father was out of town for the weekend, so his absence encouraged her to unbosom freely."

Her father, I thought.

Why did that hurt?

I never cared for Patrick Haines.

He never cared for me, either.

Get a grip, Alexa.

You hormonal mess.

"She had fallen in love with the defendant." Her upper lip curled at the corner. "Her love was, of course, unrequited."

The reporters to my right held their thumbs down on the hand-held recording device.

"You did not approve of their relationship?"

"Absolutely not." She grimaced in disgust. "I was less than impressed."

The barrister lingered by the jurors. "Why?"

"Mr Warren is a well-known businessman in London. The Grape and Vine's gargantuan conglomeration of rare wine is worth ten million," she spoke pompously. "I hear the titillating stage shows at his exclusive niterie produce a stupendous amount of money. It earned five hundred and fifty million in revenue last year alone."

Okay, I had to pay more attention to Club 11's annual profit margin.

"In spite of Mr Warren's legitimate businesses, there are question marks over the man's moral standards." Her stare lazily flickered to Liam, who watched the show unfold through narrowed eyes. "It is no secret that he is heavily involved in the London underworld. By all accounts, he is the leader of an organised crime group. What mother, in her right mind, would give their blessing to a renowned criminal? I expected more for my Hellen."

The barrister waited for the jurors to scribble in their notepads. "Did you share these concerns with your daughter?"

"Yes, I told her, under no circumstance, should she see the man again." Her lips, injected with dermal filler, puckered. "To my disappointment, she continued to date him."