01: The Trip (PT 1)

01 :: THE TRIP ( PT 1 )

"Elora, you're late!" I couldn't spare a second before a body clashed into mine as we both stumbled back. Amber gripped my arm to steady herself while glaring at me. "I'm sorry, It was Jungkook's fault." I explained as her grimace deepened before it was replaced by an outshining grin. "We're going camping!!" Her eyes formed tiny crescents that were a vision for sore eyes. If there was one thing I was excited for, it was this trip. All of us had been looking forward to it for the whole of last year and now that it was finally happening; I didn't want anything to go wrong. 

Amber Kim, I'd describe her as my other half, a person I couldn't imagine a life without. She was the glue holding all of us together from elementary days. You know when you sight a group of friends with a concrete dynamic―you wish to have a friendship like them. Amber made sure we had the friendship, and she made sure we affirmed it. As she clinged to my arm and we waited for the students to file in―her gaze landed on Jennifer who was standing with Jungkook gauchely and watching us.

"Who's that?" She asked, her round eyes taking in the sight of my neighbor. "Jennifer, my new neighbor. Try to be nice." Amber was the kindest person she could be with people she knew; but to strangers? She might as well be a tyrant to the core. It was never her fault though―she found it hard to confide in people and moreover, bring them in her ring of friends. 

"Well you might wanna keep her away from Jungkook if you want her sane by the end of this trip." She scorned jockingly before walking off as she spotted Jimin in the crowds. Jungkook attempted to trip her by extending his leg but she briskly hopped over it―flipping him off with mawkish smile. 

However, I did notice Jennifer eyeing Amber until she was out of sight.

As Ms. Gibbs asked everyone to assemble in front of the bus, my gaze landed on Jungkook who was still by Jennifer's side, she was sticking by him as they both almost got trampled over by the excited students rushing to the bus. Jungkook cautiously kept an arm around her shoulder as they finally reached us. 

"You good?" I asked as Jungkook nodded faintly, his gaze set on the bus while Jennifer was panting, quite overwhelmed by the crowd.

"Hey Jennifer, How about you stick with me and my friends for the trip? Since this is all very new to you." I offered her a reassuring smile, I couldn't envision being in her position―new girl, new town, no friends and total solitariness. I didn't want her to feel excepted or that she wasn't part of the trip.

"Thank you, Elora. That's very sweet of you." She smiled and I returned her action. That's when Amber and Jimin joined us all. Jimin was the head of the theatre club and quite popular across the campus and so was Jungkook as he was the sports captain. We'd been friends since we were kids which made us closer than most of the population of the campus. Jimin's flirtatious and candid personage made him a very laid-back and jovial guy to be around. 

"Wow, aren't you a magnificent sight for my sore eyes." Jimin winked at Jennifer who raised her eyebrows, caught off guard by his nonchalance and aloof words. 

"Damn, what happened to you?" I asked as I took in his purplish bruised eye. 

"Got hit by a girl's big brother." Amber rolled her eyes as Jimin only laughed at the memory. "Ideal situation, isn't it?" Jungkook mused, his hands crossed in front of his chest and a toothy grin on his face. Jimin glared at the younger but was cut off by Amber, "Can't say the same about your existence sadly." It was Jungkook's turn to glare at my best friend who batted her eyelashes at him innocently. Gosh, I loved when they bickered.