Crush Crush

I looked around, I was back at the edge of the water, my bare feet caked in mud and cold as ice. It was like I wasn't able to control my body as my legs started carrying me into the lake, I tried to fight but it was no use, I was a prisoner of my own body. The water was so cold it hurt, it stung with every inch deeper I walked. I didn't float, as I kept getting lower, my head fell above. I couldn't scream, I couldn't breathe.

I shot up, gasping for air, trying to fill my lungs to full capacity. I looked around, slowly recalling the events of yesterday. I was at my brothers house, I groaned, rubbing my face. I checked my phone '6:56 am', I sighed, throwing off the covers.

I didn't have much faith in going back to bed, so I decided that I'd just start the day early. I threw off the covers, grabbing a fresh pair of clothes and bathroom essentials. I quietly tiptoed to the bathroom across the hall, careful in case Mark was still asleep. The hot shower felt good, I sang quietly as I washed up.

I towel dried my hair, usually I'd use a blow dryer but I was worried it would be too loud. I finished dressing and throwing on some basic makeup, finally looking presentable. I opened the door, surprised to see Chica sitting there looking up at me, I smiled bending down and petting her.

"You need to potty Chica?" I asked her, she just wagged her tail, getting a head start downstairs. I followed her down, grabbing her lead. I quickly scribbled a note for Mark in case we weren't back by the time he was awake, 'took Chica out, be back in a bit. PS- you're a loser xo'.

I left the note in the kitchen, clipping Chica to her leash and slipping out into the cool morning air. She happily led the way as we walked, sniffing the ground. The neighborhood was quiet, mostly people out jogging or leaving for work, it screamed suburbia. After a good length, and a few bathroom stops, Chica finally turned around to head home.

"Well I'm glad one of us knows the way home" I said as she led, tail wagging the whole way. When we got back, Mark popped his head out from the kitchen, giving a wave.

"How was the walk" he asked as I joined him in the kitchen, I grabbed a mug, pouring a cup of coffee before speaking.

"Good, just followed Chica" I admitted, he laughed a bit, sipping his own coffee. I took a drink from mine, indulging on the much needed caffeine for the day. I leaned on the island, tracing the rim of my cup.

"So when do we gotta leave?" I asked, another leisurely sip from my drink. Mark stared at his watch for a long minute, internally doing math it looked.

"We have like a good hour before we have to get over there, I'm gonna wrap up a few quick thumbnails, you can help if you want" he said, getting up with his cup. Both of us sat in front of his computer, Mark explained his usual style for thumbnails as he worked, I watched him exaggerate features.

"So I'm just seeing that the more chaotic... the better" I summed up, a slight turn of concerned eyebrows. He laughed a bit, nodding and looking over to me. He offered me the main spot, scooting his own office chair back. I pulled up, beginning to put together something for a video game series he had on the mix. He would suggest changes as I worked, but gave me a small shake of the shoulders as he looked at the finished product.

"It's perfect, I think I can handle you to finish the other two, the boxes we moved need to be cleaned up a bit" Mark told me, I listened to him hum to himself as he moved boxes around, knocking out the other thumbnails. His phone began to ring, I looked over, the caller ID 'Ethan' popped up. I grabbed it, turning and tossing it over.