Chapter 1: Go Forward Slowly

First fic here, enjoy!

"Can you believe we're leaving this place behind?" Bucky says as he, Steve and Y/N walk towards the exit in their cap and gowns with certificates in hand. Steve and Bucky both open each side of the double doors and they descend the steps. It's busy with all the students and their parents leaving, loitering or taking pictures all around them.

"It's gonna be weird not seeing your ugly faces every day from now on," Y/N comments.

Bucky stops walking and turns to her, placing his hands on her shoulders, a frown on his face. "Excuse me? No, you will not be free from seeing us every day. We meet up, we video call. We do whatever it takes," he says firmly.

Y/N rolls her eyes and scoffs as she brushes his hands off her. "Stop being so dramatic, Bucky. You know nothing can come in between what we have."

Steve just chuckles and swings an arm around Y/N. "She's right. Our girl is always right." She leans into Steve and he looks down at her with his enchanting blue eyes.

Bucky notices and swoops in to grasp Y/N's hand, intertwining their fingers. "Alright pal, cool off there. We can't be having any romantic relationships between the three of us. Or else we'll be ruined."      

They don't get a chance to respond as Y/N's phone rings. She lets go of Bucky's hand to pick it up. The caller ID read Jason Wilkes and both boys grimace. Y/N steps away from Steve's clasp and answers they phone.

"Hello,"

"Hey you. I just wanted to say I'm parked at the entrance." Jason is a man of little words, very straightforward and uncomplicated.

"Okay, I'll be right there," she smiles then she ends the call and puts the phone away. She takes off her cap and gown, shoving them and her certificate into Bucky's arms. Y/N fixes her hair and fluffs up her ruffled floral dress. "Well I'm off," she states.

"Let us walk you at least, darling," Steve insists and Bucky agrees. They both dislike Jason, seeing him as not good enough for their girl.

She rolls her eyes, "if you must." But she walks slightly ahead of them to the gates. She sees Jason's silver Mazda parked a few yards away and she walks with a pop in her step that emphasises her body and grace. Jason gets out of the car with a bouquet of lilies and pink roses, neither of which were Y/N's favourite flower. She accepts them with a smile regardless.

"We'll try not to have too much fun without you," Bucky calls out.

"Oh please, you're just jealous," she replies as she flips her hair dramatically and enters Jason's car before he closes the door for her.

They drive away leaving Steve and Bucky alone. "What a loser," Bucky mumbles.

"He won't last long," Steve adds. "They never do."

The pair walks to the parking lot to find their cars and drive home to get ready for their graduation party hosted by Tony Stark, the most celebrated student of their year.

"How was your day?" Y/N asks Jason as he drives away from her two best friends.

"Good. Starting my summer work experience at your dad's hospital," he replies curtly. Her father's hospital is an awkward subject at the moment so he doesn't want to elaborate. "How was your graduation?"

"It was a graduation. No big surprises. There is a class wide graduation party tonight but I'd much rather spend time with you," she cosies up to him.

Jason smirks. "Hope you don't mind but I did invite company."

She frowns, disappointment filling her. "Oh? How come?"