Chapter 2: You Were The Better Part

The launch party happens at Y/N's parent's house. Their staff decorates the first floor where the announcement will take place and the new line will be displayed. There are giveaway bags with samples and gifts on display on a table with confetti and sequins sprinkled over it. Standing tables dot the place for guests to rest against. Outside the patio is furnished where guests will be served the finest food and lights are strung up to illuminate the yard. The fountain will be turned on as usual but the lights will be flowing the signature mint green that is the colour of Y/N's mom's brand logo.

Y/N tries to ignore all the commotion taking place in her own home. She is resting in her room, not wanting to be disturbed until it is time to get ready. She lays on her custom-made circular bed turning the pages of a magazine. Although her relaxed mood diminishes when she sees her mother in one of the pages, promoting her brand and teasing the new line.
Artisan Beauty| Cosmetics of the Future

She closes the magazine and shoves it away. It is just another reminder that she isn't a priority to either of her parents. They were always focussing on getting the next promotion or new products, new ideas, the next big investment. But never their own daughter.

Her phone rings and looking at the caller ID, Y/N smiles, "Hey you,"

"Hey darling, I got some not so good news for you,"

"Great," she grumbles. "Just tell me..."

"Well I saw the guest list from my mom and Jason's gonna be there."

She groans out loud flopping back on her bed. "Of course he is," she says sarcastically. "I didn't tell them about our break up or whatever you call it. They can't know that he or I know about the whole money thing."

"Do you intend to use it against them in the future?" Steve asks.

"Maybe... not sure yet. One scheme still a time," she smirks.

"Does that mean you have ideas on how to mess with him?"

She hasn't really thought of anything since she is still processing how he could be so cruel to her. She has to do something equally cruel back or else he would win.

"No, I haven't. But you know me, I'll think of something. Something terrible for him but fun for us."

He chuckles. Normally Steve fights against whatever plans Y/N has for revenge against someone who has wronged her since he prefers to get physical rather than manipulative, that isn't his forte. However this time is an exception because all along he knew Wilkes was an asshole and he would get what he deserves.

"Don't tire yourself out," he reminds her. "You've got a busy night."

"Yeah of bullshitting and plastic performances," Y/N rolls her eyes. "This probably won't be all that different than the other events they plan. Except that my grandparents will be here," she brings it up because it makes her nervous and Steve knows it. She has to be on her best behaviour for them, anything less is absolutely unacceptable and their family will be reaping the consequences for a while. It would be a year of ass kissing to her cousins and aunts and uncles. Just thinking about it makes Y/N grimace.

"Everything's gonna be fine," Steve reassures. "I'm gonna get ready, I'll see you soon, darling."

She smiles and says her goodbye. Y/N decides that it's time for her to start getting ready too. She opens her closet to pull out the two outfits she has been torn between for this event. One was loose and romantic with ruffles while the other was sleek and sexy with teasing cutouts. If she asked Steve what she should go with he would say the flowy one while Bucky would say the skin tight one. The first one it is, she decides. She chooses some simple silver heels to go with her white gold accessories. Y/N takes a shower as her hair stylist and make up artist should be here soon.