The Haze (Chapter 16)

Chapter Sixteen

The cave was empty and cold when I woke up. Olivia was gone and the fire was down to just embers. She must have left a while ago for the fire to be this low. I checked my wound and saw the dressing had bled through, but not nearly as much as last night when we changed it. I crawled out from under my blanket and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I must not have moved all night. Sleeping with the mask hadn't been a problem after all. I folded the blankets and put them in a pile. More to keep myself occupied than anything. I stood up and walked the length of the cave a few times to help work out the soreness of sleeping on the ground and from the injury. I added some sticks to the fire and blew on the embers to get some flames going. I retrieved my toothbrush and paste from my pack and slipped my boots on. I stepped out of the cave's entrance as close to the side as possible to avoid the flow of water. I had removed my tank so I could brush my teeth. I crouched next to the creek and stuck my brush into some water rushing over a rock. I knew the risks of using unclean water, but I didn't have enough left in my canteen to use it for this.

I figured Olivia would bring fresh water back when she returned, but I didn't know when that would be. I could boil some water in the frying pan she left behind to give myself something to do today too. I finished brushing and cupped some water into my hands to wash my face and neck. The cold water was a shock to my skin, but I welcomed it. I sat back and took a few deep breaths. I could get use to this. Breathing without a tank. Sitting in the mountains next to a creek. I laid back in the grass and looked at the treetops. I could see the sky peeking through. My shoulder was still tender, but I could breathe easier than yesterday so I considered that a win. My peace and quiet was interrupted by shouting. I bolted upright and got ready to hide. Had the Bubble found me already? The shouting was a little way away and I got closer to the edge of the tree line. A boy was running. He was barefoot and shouting that he wanted to be left alone. He was young. Between sixteen and twenty. There was a drone closing in on him. He wasn't wearing a mask. I ran back to the cave as quickly as I could. I stopped at the entrance and tucked the laces into my boots instead of tying them. I rushed and searched through my bag until I found my slingshot. I hurried back out and stuck my hand into the icy creek, grabbing a handful of stones and shoving them into my pocket as I hurried back, hoping he wasn't too far away for me to help him. He was zigzagging through the field; it must have already shot at him once or he must have known that it could. I grabbed a stone and got out of the trees enough to take a shot. I audibly groaned when I pulled the sling back. The boy hadn't seen me yet. I aimed and when I released the pain was immense. The shot was too high. I aimed again and it flew a little to the left. Fuck, I've got to hit this next one, I thought. I don't think I can take the pain of shooting anymore. My hurt arm was the one I used to pull back with. The last one luckily was spot on and I sighed in relief. The drone was knocked out of the sky the boy kept running until he heard it crash into the ground. He stopped and turned slowly. He collapsed on the ground at the sight of the crashed drone and cried. I made my way over to him slowly. He was still crying and hadn't noticed my approach. I crouched down so I was closer to his level.

"Hey, you okay?"

I was reaching to put my hand on his shoulder when he looked up. He shrunk away from me and started scooting away and saying: "Please, please, just let me go!"

"Whoa, relax kid. You're okay, you're okay. I took it out for you. One got me yesterday. See?"

I pulled my shirt open and showed him the bandage. I dropped my shirt back into place and kept my hands up in surrender. He stopped scooting away and rubbed at his eyes and looked at me.

"It shot you?"

"Yes."

"Why? I don't recognize you. You're not from the nest."