24. Oh, nothing. - Brian

I shrug

I shrug. "Do you want me to sleep on the little couch over there?"

Abby glances over, then waves her hand. "Don't be silly. I'm going to shower," she says, looping a hair tie around a high bun.

"Wait—are you hungry?"

"Yes, but I'm too exhausted to go out. I figured that I'd grab something nearby."

"I can run out while you shower. Do you care if it's just something like a burrito?"

"No, that sounds great."

I snag my key card off the bed. "I know what you like. I'll be back."

***

"Um, no! That's not right at all," I say. Sabrina giggles as I aim a finger at her, and she covers her mouth. "You know what? Dame Abuelita, por favor."

The phone fumbles for a second before my grandmother's face fills the screen. "Hi, mi querida."

"Hey! How are you?"

She smiles, resting her hand on her face. "I'm good, guapo. How's the trip?"

"It's good, it's good. Did you hear what Sabrina said to me? These girls think they're grown."

Light brightens the opposite wall as Abby exits the bathroom again. She thanked me twenty minutes ago when I brought back burritos, then disappeared behind the door, followed by the whir of a hairdryer.

"The amount of grief you give the ladies in your life, mi alma, you might deserve some of the teasing."

"Ay, por favor, Abuela. I thought you were on my side. The twins have Pops, and the girls and SiSi have Mom, but I thought I was your ride or die."

Snorting, Abby clamps a hand over her mouth. I clear my throat, furtively glance over to her with a smile, then back to the phone. "Did you get the Wordle today?"

"Yes!" My grandma taps three fingers on her chin, squinting at the ceiling. "I believe I did it in four today. How about you?"

"Not yet, but I'll text you when I do it later."

"Mijo." My mom's voice carries across the kitchen to where my grandma is at the table. I crane my neck, waiting.

"He's listening, Helen."

"¿Ya hablaste con Sierra?"

My throat goes dry. "What? No...I...it was a busy day and then I came up here and immediately called you guys so I didn't miss Monday night dinner. What's going on?"

"She's in labor," Abuela says with a smile. She glances up, then back to me. "Natalia was able to speak with her a few hours ago."

"So, everything's okay?"

Natalia enters the view, stooping to see me better. "Hey, B. Everything should be okay. She's just, you know, bringing a human into the world."

"Fuuu...dge. I said fudge, Abuela."