Chapter One

Dancer's P.O.V:

I woke up, stretching my back like a cat. A smile graced my silvery-white face, but was quickly chased away by a frown.

Every morning. Every morning, the events of one night, years ago, would replay in my mind, leaving no place for happiness.

It was a warm spring day, and my older brother was teaching me how to fish.

- flashback -

My wings wobbled as the breeze blew under them.

"Careful, there!" my older brother, Apollo, teased me over the wind. "I'm here to fish some dinner out of the water, not you!"

I pouted as he smirked a toothless dragon grin.

"I'd bet that you weren't any better than me when you were my age, Chief Bigshot!" I defended myself.

"You're probably right," he started, "but-"

"Here we go," I muttered under my breath, readying myself.

"-I'm better now, so.... I can dunk you!"

My brother launched himself at me, and I swerved out of the way just in time.

"Knock it off, you big pile of black scales!" I yelled, when he didn't give up.

He faked a gasp, "Dancer! How could you! Now, I guess, you're just in more trouble!"

Again, he lunged at me, and I didn't have time to prepare myself. We barreled into each other, and were sent, tumbling, into the waves.

With a splash, we hit the surface. I was less unstable while underwater than afloat on an air current, but still not quite at home in the sea.

I breached the surface with a frown, only to see Apollo already there, waiting for me.

He broke out into laughs, paddling around. "You should see your face!" he got out, "You look like it rained when you hatched!"

My frown deepened, but it was really only to keep my giggles down. "I wanted to keep dry, but now that I'm wet, there's no helping it," I sighed. "And, yeah. I'm more soaked than if that would have happened, anyway." I glared at him. "Meanie."

Apollo paused, and his face went blank.

"Apollo?" I asked hesitantly. "What's wrong?"

His eyes turned to slits, and he took off.

"Wait!" I shouted, "Wait, I didn't mean it!"

I didn't know how to take off from the water, so I could only paddle hopelessly after him.

He ignored my pleas, eventually disappearing from view.

"Please come back, big brother," I whimpered. "I'm sorry...."

- flashback ends -

A sigh left my lips. I had always felt that it was my fault, that I could have done better to convince him to stop, even though I knew that it was impossible. Sometimes, just to lessen the loneliness, I tried to convince myself that he was happier away from me. He probably was, but it didn't make me any less sad.

My reddish-pink eyes surveyed my surroundings, something that was a habit to all wild creatures. It was further ingrained on my mind, specifically, as an albino. Chances of predatory dragons spotting me were heightened.