Dragons

Point In Time: Origin
File Name: DRAGONS
Universe Importance: High
What you are about to experience is a recollection of the past digitally recreated from the memories found in the bones of your ancestors.
You cannot change anything.
You cannot be harmed.
You cannot leave without learning.

Good luck, Searcher.
Enjoy.

L O A D I N G
F I L E
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Grant wiped the sweat from his brow as the sun finally set. It had been a long day and being tasked with fixing the ranch fence was hard work.
It was safe to say he'd broken more than a sweat.

He was excited to get to bed, for when the sun rose tomorrow he would be sixteen and therefore eligible to see the Dragons.
When he was a child of only five his father would tell him stories about the Dragons that nursed the Human Race.

"the great Dragons came from a sunset as golden as molten treasure" he would say, a twinkle in his eyes "and, our ancestors, would communicate with the great beasts which would bring them to an agreement that has lasted generations and will last many more."

Grant smiled to himself and picked up his set of tools.
Making his way over to the small hut he thought about what the dragons might look like.
He'd heard stories from the older kids, and vague descriptions from the adults.
Somehow though he could never quite picture what they should look like.

The boy shook it off as he set the tools down in their respective places, bathed quickly, and headed off to bed.

. . . . . . .

Grant was awoken by his own giddy excitement. His body shook with adrenaline as he thought about what the day held.
The young man bolted out of bed, dressing and eating as quickly as possible.
His father watched, amused and patient.
His mother smiled wide and laughed.

Soon Grant was done with everything he'd had to do.
He stood in front of his father and looked up at the broad, grey haired man "Father. Please, please take me to see them! I'm ready, I promise."

The old man scratched his close shaven beard and made a humming sound "Hm. Are you ready? Your barely a man, at sixteen years."

Grant punched his father's shoulder "of course I'm ready! It's not like you have a choice anyway." He said cheekily and his father only laughed.

"Your right, as usual." He said "we've not time to waste. Follow me closely." And so the man, with his son in tow, trekked down the stiff dirt path through the village.

Villagers called out to him, smiling and cheering.
Finally, the chieftain's son would see the dragons.
They offered foods and presents, praises and smiles.
It was no small deal, for a child to see the dragons.

Grant was a little freaked out, and more than bewildered, at the crowd.
He'd been out deep within the ranch when the librarian's daughter, Claudia, had been taken to see them.
He had asked her what it was like but she stayed silent with a knowing smile on her face that had irked Grant to no end.

Eventually Grant's excitement faded after a few miles of walking.
He glared at his father's broad back. When would they be done?
It felt like they'd been walking for years.

Just when Grant had had enough and was about to speak up his father stopped and pointed "You see that?" He asked.

Grant squinted to where his father was pointing. After a minute he sighed "No, I see nothing."
It was just more dirt path. Nothing special.

His father clicked his tongue and shifted Grant to the side, tilting his head just a bit "Now?"

Grant was ready to protest but stopped as he saw the air shimmer, move like fabric and shine like metal under the sun, for just a moment.
"What is that?" He asked, incredulous.