I'm sorry....

I've been waiting for the sender of the cryptic message. I looked at my watch, seeing it was now almost half past six, and gave up waiting. Just as I was about to leave, I heard my name being called out.

I turned around.

"Natasha?"

She put a finger to her lips, and motioned for me to follow her. A few blocks, and a car ride later, we were at an abandoned building. I warily followed her in.

"Natasha'" I whispered. "What are we doing here?"

"You'll see."

After a few more turns, I was standing I front of a bruised Steve.

"Steve! What happened?" I asked, worried.

"S.H.I.E.L.D's been compromised. We're fugitives now."

Then I surprised them by what I said next.

"I knew it. Ever since Pierce was put incharge, something felt off. I wasn't sure what though."

.....

As we were on the way to New Jersey, I decided to approach Steve on sensitive subject.

"When was the last time you saw him?" I asked, staring out the window.

"Just before we defeated the red skull. We had boarded the enemy's train. He fell into the valley below."

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

It was quite for the rest of the ride. I can't believe he's been alone all that time.

When we arrived in New Jersey, Steve drove us to a military base.

"Why are we here?" I asked.

"This is the location we got off the jump drive." Natasha said.

I hopped out of the truck, and walked around.

"It doesn't make any sense. Why would Fury send you guys here?"

"I don't know. But that building isn't supposed to be there. Military protocal dictates that you can't keep ammunition near the barracks." Steve said.

"You guys go ahead. I'll make sure no one interrupts."

.....

It's been a few minutes since Steve and Natasha went in. I turned to go in when my ears picked up the sound of an F-15. I quickly dove into another building just a the jet fired a missle at the building Steve and Natasha was in.

The force of the blast - though weakened - was still enough to send me sliding across the floor. After the debris settled, I pulled myself up, and stumbled outside. Everything was ruined. I called out, hopping someone would answer. Soon, I saw someone trying to push a piece of heavy debris off of them and ran over.

I pulled the piece off with no problem. Steve pulled Natasha out, and picked  her up.

"Go. I'll provide cover." I said.

"Irina-"

"Go Steve. That's an order."

He reluctantly left. I covered his tracks, and made sure that they got out safely. Once they were gone, and the enemy distracted, I followed them.

I found them at house, close to D.C.

"She with you?" The guy answering the door asked.

"Yeah. She's with us." Steve said.