You're A Woman!

The Doctor had been shot a while ago now and he was clearly in pain. You didn't know how much longer he was going to be able to hold onto this self, or how much longer you could stand seeing him like this. You'd just lost Bill too, your best friend. She had gone off with that cute puddle girl, Heather, which you supposed was a much better fate than ending up as a cyberman for eternity.  

"Doctor?" your voice was shaky. You were exhausted and scared and upset and excited all at the same time. You would definitely need a nice long sleep after this trip. The Doctor looked to be feeling the same - head hung, breathing heavily and leaning against the TARDIS console. At the sound of your voice, he stood up straight and started pulling a lever, the TARDIS dematerialising. He stumbled a few steps and looked at the scanners. Tears were forming in your eyes. You knew what was about to happen - he had warned you a while ago that his face might change occasionally. You almost didn't believe him. Almost. 

"Oh there it is, silly old universe. The more I save it, the more it needs saving." he said to no one in particular. Although, the TARDIS did make a humming noise and you wondered if really he was talking to her. "It's a treadmill!" 

A sad smile made its way onto your face. Even when he was dying he was still trying to make you laugh. 

"We'd get it all horribly wrong without you, Doctor," you offered, the TARDIS beeping in agreement. The Doctor turned to look at you, clearly feeling sorry for you for what you were about to watch. 

"Yeah..." he started to walk towards you. "I suppose one more lifetime wouldn't hurt." he murmured to himself and took your hands in his. "I have to leave you now, Y\N and I'm so sorry but believe me when I say you are one of the most spectacularly brave and strong people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing - and not just with this face. Just promise me one thing, though?" 

"Anything, anything." tears were now streaming down your face. You knew he wasn't dying but he was about to change. You were sure you'd love whoever he'd turn out to be next but he was your Doctor. 

"Be kind to my next face, yeah? Whoever they are, they're going to need you so much." he pleaded with you, while you nodded not being able to speak anymore. He let go of your hands. 

The cloister bell rang, making you jump a little, The Doctor's hands starting to glow with regeneration energy. The Doctor took a moment to look around his TARDIS. It was definitely one of his favourites. "You wait a moment, Doctor. Lets get it right. I have a few things to say to you." he started walking around the TARDIS and you knew better to interrupt him.

"Basic stuff. Never be cruel, never be cowardly, and never, ever eat pears!" you couldn't help but laugh a little. You were going to miss him. "Remember, hate is always foolish. and love is always wise. Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind. Oh, and you mustn't tell anyone your name. No one would understand it, anyway. Except, ah!" he doubled over onto the floor while you watched wide eyed, knowing that as much as you wanted to go and help him you couldn't. "Except children. Children can hear it sometimes. If their hearts are in the right place, and the stars are too, children can hear your name. Argh! But nobody else. Nobody else, ever. Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." he looked at you and gave you one last smile, which you tried your best to return. "Doctor, I let you go."

Regeneration energy poured out of him, making you jump back a little and cover your eyes with your arm - it was so beautiful but completely binding. When the yellow glowing stopped, the TARDIS was silent. You never imagined it being this silent in the TARDIS before - there was always something happening. Always. 

"Oh my god!" you stared at The Doctor in total shock. 

"Y/N! Brilliant you're still with me. I know this is well - a lot but-" 

"You're a woman!" you exclaimed in total shock, partly because of all the incredible things you'd seen with the doctor, this was easily in the top 5, partly because you had sort of expected the doctor to stay a man and partly because on my lord, she was beautiful! Gay panic was rushing through your veins. 

"Am I?" she raised her eyebrows, reaching to see her reflection in the scanner. "Oh, brilliant!" She pressed a button in front of her and suddenly you were both thrown forwards, explosions starting to go around you. Oh what the hell has she done!? "Ah! Sorry, just hold on tight!" she shouted over the tumultuous noise of crashing. Your face was pressed against the TARDIS floor and you groaned in pain. 

The TARDIS started to tilt so that you were dragged towards the doors. The book case had fallen over and there was paper everywhere - flying out of the doors. The Doctor had managed to keep a hold of a lever on the console with one hand and didn't hesitate to quickly grab your hand too before you fell out.

"Doctor, we're going to get thrown out!" you screamed just before the core of the TARDIS smashed and  the part of the console the doctor was holding onto came away from the rest of it. 

You could hear the doctor scream above you as you watched the TARDIS disappear. Oh no, no, no, no this was bad. You weren't sure whether you were screaming or not - you thought that maybe you were but then you were trying to catch your breath, not being able to breath going at this speed. 

Trust the Doctor to get you killed 3 minutes after telling you that you were one of the most spectacular people they had ever met!