Part 19 - Foreboding

Present Day

It was Lady Mabel who eventually discovered Kerry after reading a report in the local paper about a group of high school students who had seen a ghost on Mill Lane and claimed it was the Grey Lady of Heyleigh Hall. It was Stanley who approached Elizabeth.

“Ah! Elizabeth, erm... I’m afraid we've got a bit of an unusual case involving the Living this morning.”

Elizabeth looked up at him and thought he looked a little ruffled which was very unlike him. He sat down at her desk and started to brush invisible flecks of fluff from his ever-immaculate navy twill trousers.

“Everything that happens here is extremely unusual, as far as the Living are concerned, Stanley!" But her curiosity was aroused more than usual. “What’s happened?”

“A young girl was murdered several weeks ago and her body dumped in undergrowth.”

“Several weeks ago? Strange that we haven’t heard about it before now.”

“Yes... Indeed,” he muttered, attacking the invisible fluff again. “Kerry Crabtree; she was nineteen years old. Her body has lain undiscovered until now and Lady Mabel thinks it could still be a good while before any of the Living come across it. It's been well hidden in the woods on the far side of Heyleigh Hall. At the moment I understand the police suspect Kerry has run away -– we on the other hand know that she was victim of our local serial killer.”

Elizabeth thought for a moment. “There'll be a coach party arriving up at the Hall just after lunchtime. It might be a good idea to send someone up there around that time. If one of the tourists is receptive, a word in their ear could encourage them to discover the body. Does she know who killed her?”

Stanley sighed and stood up. “I believe he took something of hers that will lead us to him,” he shook his head gently. “It’s sad. It always is in a case like this. We need to stop these murders -– without any further delay -- or it will be dark at breakfast if we are not careful. By the way, good idea about the tourists. We’ll send Gemma.”

Elizabeth cringed at the mention of the name and bit her lower lip. Since her return, the two of them had so far managed to avoid each other.

Lady Mabel arrived in the room beside Stanley. “Why don’t I go instead?” she asked Stanley, and then turned to Elizabeth for support. “They're much more likely to be looking out for me and will therefore be more receptive.”

“OK...” Stanley seemed to have his mind focused elsewhere.

"Is something wrong, Stanley?" Elizabeth asked. Concerned, she rose from her seat.

“In a way,” said Stanley, putting his arm around her in a fatherly fashion. “I've a terrible feeling of foreboding. It’s been a long time since I felt anything this strong so close to RoYds.”