Chapter 16: When The Time Comes

It was summer break now, and Briar was just trying to hide in her room as much as possible. With such a large home, it was easy to avoid her father, but her bedroom had always felt like her safe haven since her father rarely ever came into it.

Briar woke up late one morning that summer and tiredly rubbed at her tired eyes. She dragged her sluggish frame from her bed and stumbled over to the window. When she dragged back the thick, burgundy curtains, she grumbled at the bright light that flooded her previously dark bedroom. She jerked the curtains back into place and stumbled over to her bed once more. She crawled into it and tugged her blankets back around her shoulders and sat up in bed, staring at her door and trying to decide if she thought her father would be at work at that point.

After her stomach let out a long growl, she decided venturing from her room was a risk she needed to take. She swung her heavy, mahogany door open and flinched when she nearly ran over their house-elf, Folsy.

Folsy held up her hands and gently pushed Briar back into her bedroom by her legs. Briar obliged and stumbled back into her bedroom. Folsy closed the door and hissed, "Miss Briar must not leave her room. Folsy does not want Miss Briar to be in danger."

Briar crouched down to Folsy's level and questioned, "What do you mean, Folsy? Why would I be in danger if I left my room?"

Folsy stared at Briar with large eyes. Her voice became nearly inaudible as she murmured, "Miss Briar, Master Davies has guests."

The color drained from Briar's face. She breathed, "Death eaters?"

Folsy nodded and stammered, "And-and..." Folsy couldn't bring herself to say what was coming next.

Briar covered her mouth with her hand and exhaled, "No. You must be joking."

"Folsy does not joke about such serious things, Miss Briar. It is vital that Miss Briar stays in her room, but Folsy must go back now. They might need Folsy," The small elf rambled as worry overcame her features.

Briar whispered, "Please, just stay here. We can pretend that I needed your help. I can make it look like I badly injured myself and needed your help."

Folsy shook her head and whispered, "Folsy cannot lie to Master. Folsy is sorry, but Miss Briar must stay safe."

Without giving Briar a chance to protest, Folsy slipped out of the room and moved back down the few flights of stairs to the meeting room where the death eaters were meeting with the Dark Lord. Briar sat down on the floor and felt her anxiety rising with each moment that passed. She and Folsy were both in danger as long as their house was inhabited by so many evil individuals.

Briar knew that she needed to respect Folsy's wishes. If she tried to help Folsy, it would likely just put both of them into greater danger. With slumped shoulders, she slipped into her private bathroom with her wand. While she breathed heavily, she put up protective spells to make her presence undetectable by magic. She locked the bathroom door and sat down on the black tiled floors with her sketchbook and considerable anxiety.

To pass the tense moments of that day, Briar sketched a detailed depiction of Folsy. She planned to give it to her after the death eaters all left, but she was silently terrified that she wouldn't have the chance.

When Briar heard her bedroom door open later and Folsy's soft voice shakily calling her name , she shot out of the bathroom instantly. As soon as she saw Folsy's tear-stained cheeks, Briar dropped in front of her. Briar questioned, "What happened? Are you okay?"

"Folsy is okay, but Folsy is scared for Miss Briar. Everyone left, but they were talking about Miss Briar in their meeting, and Folsy is afraid for Miss Briar," Folsy blubbered as she stared up at Briar with huge eyes.