Chapter THIRTEEN

Ellerie Devereux

After meeting with Kirby, you passed the afternoon back at the office in a overproductive haze, keeping yourself busy burrowed under your mountains of work instead of focusing on the looming trouble that is headed your way like a unstoppable freight train...

You escaped the office at five on the dot, managing to avoid running into anybody on your way out and had finally made it to the peace and quiet of your apartment and poured yourself a glass of whiskey, ready to unwind when Paxton texted you with an address to meet at..

You changed your shirt, loosing the white collared button down you wore to work, instead opting for a tight leopard print V-neck camisole before jumping in your car and punching the address into the GPS...

Now that you're parked out front of a small hole in the wall looking bar, you nervously fiddle with the fleur-de-lis pendant that hangs from a long chain around your neck...

Once again, you find you're second guessing your decision..

Maybe you shouldn't be here.. "What are you doing, girl?" You mutter under your breath..

The doubts have started eating away at you, weighing on you..

You're beginning to think you're losing you're mind because you're certainly not acting like yourself..

Checking the time on your phone screen you step out of the car into the fresh evening air..

Seven forty-five...

Taking a deep breath you make your way to the grubby red door where a thick necked bouncer stands with his arms crossed.. He looks you up and down before giving you a nod and stepping to the side to let you in..

You roll your eyes as you brush past him, pushing your way inside..

You're greeted with a surprisingly elegant interior, dark cherry wood and low hanging crystal pendant lights that emit a soft yellow glow.. Smooth piano music drifts throth the air as your eyes sweep across the room, landing on Paxton, who stands out looking like a Norse God carved from marble, the sleeves of his white dress shirt are rolled up to expose his muscular forearms..

He sits at the bar, patently waiting..

You make your way over to him, he looks up from his scotch on the rocks with a smouldering gaze as you drop into the seat beside him.. "I was just about to order another.." He holds up his nearly finished drink and you nod..

"Perfect.. I'll take mine neat".. You smile..

He arches an impressed eyebrow at you before he motions to the bartender who makes his way over..

Paxton orders the drinks before turning back to you with that sly sharky grin that makes your nervous.. "You sure know how to keep a guy waiting.. I was beginning think you weren't gunna show.."

The bar tender places the drink in front you and you take a slow sip of the firey Amber liquid, you feel the tickling burn all the way down to the pit of your stomach.. "I honestly wasn't sure if I should.. But, I'm here now, so.."

He sets the glass down.. "So.. Are you gunna tell me what's going on.. Or you gunna make me wait for that too?"

You turn, looking up at him.. Even seated he is taller than you.. Not as tall as Jackson..

But still..

"I'm not sure about that either... Your digging into Elijah really set him off.. I'm beginning to wonder if you'd be better off to stay out of this, Hunter, I don't know if you want to be involved.."