Too Soon?

"Hello? Someone still in there?"

Len's head tilted back and his eyes met Oliver's as another spate of knocking tipped on his forehead. Oliver cocked his head to the side and smiled while tapping on Len's face another few times.

"Are you really this tired?"

Len nodded and clung his hand back on his toothbrush, weakly continuing the strenuous task. His eyes fell shut again and his torso shifted under the heavy weight his body could barely carry. 

Oliver was struck between hoping and not hoping Len would fall backwards into the bathtub with how sluggishly he sat on the edge, but he figured the few laughs would not pay off for a possible laceration. Instead, he kneeled down and poked Len's eyes lightly. There was a reaction, but it looked like his boyfriend was about to fall asleep again in no time.

"Jeez, good that I didn't let you go home. You probably wouldn't even make it in this state."

Len huff-laughed and brushed over his teeth another few times until he figured that he could no longer stay awake, washed his mouth out and left the bathroom without another word. Oliver's eyes followed him but then he decided against stopping him. He finished brushing his own teeth, and after checking the rest of the rooms for any forgotten lights, walked in on Len already huddled up in his bed.

Oliver smiled and shut the light. He could barely contain his excitement after he had been waiting all day for another chance to fall asleep next to his boyfriend.

He barely managed to crawl over him to the other bedside as a pair of arms already wrapped around him and pulled him down. Oliver gave in with a thud and a short-lived giggle, only to have Len join him with a weak smile, inching closer. His arms wrapped around Len and brought out a few hums until Oliver would rub his face in the warm crook of the neck and let out muffled exclaims himself.

Seconds passed by and Oliver calmed down from the sudden serotonin rush through his veins, pecked the blonde hair in front of him and whispered a faint "good night" before fishing out his phone in his pocket. Tiredness didn't quite catch him yet, but he knew that hearing Len's calm breathing soon would do.

It was barely half an hour of scrolling through social media that Oliver shut off his phone and yawned. Len shifted around in his arms, rubbing his head against him and let out small whines until Oliver wiggled one of his arms out of the embrace and nudged the frown out of Len's face.

"Are you okay?" He whispered but received no response other than a few more whines and hums. Only after a while Len slightly jerk up, tilted his head around still disoriented and then plumped down on the mattress. Oliver's hand wandered down to Len's arm and he pulled him closer. Despite the squishing position, a small smile looked up at him and Oliver returned the gesture.

"I love you," Len muttered with a lazy smile still plastered on his face, as he snuggled even closer.

Then his torso bolted up. His palms drowned in the mattress, but he barely noticed the sinking and shifting of his body as every cell of his body clutched in shock. Len sat there, eyes ripped open and with one of his hands thrown against his mouth.

The sudden uproar rubbed off on Oliver a mere second later and also he sat up, confused but just as tense as his counterpart. However, his expression quickly softened once his mind caught up.

"Too soon?" Len pressed out between his fingers and returned the ambiguous stare shot at him. There was no other answer. Oliver's lips tightened as Len shook his head with a heavy sigh. "God, I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I'm just a bit...surprised."

Oliver's head lowered as his eyes searched for something less awkward to settle on.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. That was stupid of me. Just forget what I said."

Oliver shook his head and reached out his hand to pull on Len's shoulder, but the latter wouldn't budge. He let out an awkward laugh but any further attempts weren't sprouting in the least. Eventually, Oliver sighed and lay back down on his pillow, looking up into the concerned frown upon him.

"It's fine..I just..I—"

"You don't have to say it back yet," Len interrupted and forced a smile. Also he leaned down and dropped his head on the pillow, with the two proceeding to just look at each other, searching for what was going through their heads.

Oliver scanned Len's face once more, yet uncertain and hurt, but there was nothing he could do. He already knew that he couldn't even say it back now, even if he wanted to. The tension was too stiff for that. Instead, he gave another weak, reassuring smile.

"Let's just go to sleep for now."

"Yeah," Len whispered and broke off the eye contact. He turned away and shifted under the blanket a few more times but Oliver could tell that he wouldn't get any closer. Despite his arm stretched out for Len's head to rest on, the awkwardness would remain.

Oliver wasn't sure if he was going to get any sleep like this.