Chapter 7: Change is Bound to Happen

THATH CHAPTER 7: Change is Bound to Happen

Its raining cats and dogs. Nakaupo ako sa sofa habang pinagmamasdan ko ang patak ng ulan sa labas. Sobrang makulimlim ang langit, maikukumpara ko na din siya sa nararamdaman ko ngayon. Huminga ako ng malalim at kinuha ko ang libro na nasa mini table namin.

Yes, tapos na ang intramurals and its been a week since that happened. Unfortunately, we only won third overall, but we did not feel bitter at all, kasi alam naman namin na may next years pa, three years to be exact.

Hanggang ngayon, naging tulay pa rin ako kina Chris at Aly. Minsan, nagiging third wheel pa nga, kasama ako lagi pag kumakain sa canteen, o kahit mag-aral sa library. Of course I felt a bang on my chest, parang pinapatay ko lang ang sarili ko.

Di ko na pala namalayan na tumutunganga na ako sa dami ng iniisip. Nakita kong nakatitig si mommy sa akin. Pumunta siya sa kinaroroonan ko, at binigyan ako ng binake niyang cookies at gatas. I smiled at her when she gave me those. These are my favorites—my mom's home baked cookies. Ever since my father died, my mom really tried her best to let me feel that we are still complete. My father likes to bake as well, so my mother really paid attention, learned baking in a baking school and baked for me for snacks, when studying and when I feel down.

"Ang lalim ng iniisip mo anak ah," my mom told me as soon as she sat adjacent to my side. Kumuha ako ng binake niyang cookies at I dipped it on the milk and took a bite. Sobrang sarap nito! I smiled as I continue eating.

"Yes, mom. I'm just absorbing what I'm reading right now," I lied. Ang complicated din kasi ng situation, and I'm afraid to tell it to my mom. She didn't even know that I like Chris.

"Ganoon ba, anak? If you have problems, don't hesitate to open up about it, okay? I'm your Mommy, and I'm doing the best that I can do for my only child," she smiled at me.

I guess, its time to ask.

"Mom, how does it feel to like someone? How did you know that you liked Daddy?" I was curious. I wanted to know if it's the same feeling, I want to know this is not just infatuation.

My mom shyly laughed at me, "Naku, anak. Long story to share but I remember that your dad was the first one to confess that he liked me," she chuckled. "Charles was a great friend of mine, perhaps my shoulder to cry on. He was there when I had my first heartbreak, and I was there too when he had his first heartbreak. We were typically high school bestfriend, if that's what they call." My mom said, remembering all the wonderful memories with my dad. "I started to like him when we were in fourth year high school, when I sort of long for his presence. We were not in good terms that time, so he was not physically present. Hinahanap-hanap ko na siya lagi," she smiled at me. "Why, anak? Do you like someone right now?"

I was completely nervous with her abrupt question. "N-no, mom! I was j-just, asking." I said in my little voice. She chuckled and went closer to me, held my hands. "Baby, its okay to like someone, as long is that someone is helpful to you and to your career, okay? Tell me, is it Chris?" she winked at me.

"Mom! I'm still even not sure if I truly like him, or just pure infatuation," I said covering my hands.

I knew my mom was smiling. Sumilip ako sa kanya, at tama nga ako. She was. "I'm so very proud of you that you always choose the right person for you, anak!" She even clapped, feeling proud. "Sa wakas, dalaga na anak ko!"

I am very embarrassed! "Mom! Don't tell Chris. He likes Aly. I don't want to mess his momentum. I just want to stay as his best friend," I said, pleading. My mom exhaled, assessing the situation. "May gusto palang iba si Chris. Don't worry anak, your secret is safe with me. I'm happy you opened up to me. Just make sure," she touched my right chest. "hindi masasaktan yang puso mo. If you feel hurt, just come to me and I'll comfort you okay? I'm your mom," she said.