I can't escape myself.

Songs of the chapter-
Home- Three Days Grace
The City- The 1975

After finally convincing Harry to come back to the shelter with me, he reluctantly got up off the bench and walked back with me to my car.

My car was quite beat up, but it was all I could afford with apartment expenses and my lousy job.

I got into the car in the driver's side and turned the heat all the way up, but Harry just stood outside. I peeked my head out.

"Um, are you coming?" I hollered at him.

He blankly stared at me, getting in the car minutes later.

The drive back to the shelter was pretty short, much more relaxed than the drive on the way to the park. I connected my phone to the car and played a song from my playlist. I felt like Harry would like it, especially since he tried looking at the screen of my phone to see what the title was I assumed."It's called Animal I've Become by Three Days Grace." He nodded his head contently at my song choice. || A/N: play the song in the sidebar while reading this||

I parked in front of the shelter, about to get out of the car when Harry lightly grasped my arm.

"Stay for a minute?" he asked. It was hard to say no when he looked so disoriented.

"I'm sorry you had to come out and get me, I hate the fact that I've burdened you and we haven't even had a real conversation yet." he began.

"Well then, let's have a real conversation" I smiled warmly at him. "How'd you end up on the streets of New York City? It's a jungle out there."

All he could do was laugh without any emotion, absentmindedly he said, "Well I guess I've become trapped in the walls of my own home. The city I used to love became my own nightmare."

His words were deep, beating around the bush but evidently having a reason for his words. He still never mentioned what happened, but I felt like that was off-limits. At least for now.

Once we got out of the car, I told Harry to follow me as I went in to find Margaret. He looked up curiously at the paintings on the walls but what truly amazed him was The Giving Wall. My counselor has one of these walls in her office, and I thought it would be something nice to have at the shelter. The Giving Wall was a wall full of encouraging post-it notes, each one written by a different person. The wall served to brighten the aura of this place, the gloominess of the disoriented people thick in the air.

Soon enough I found Margaret in the kitchen helping the volunteers make today's meal as it approached dinner time. When Margaret saw Harry, she mouthed a quick thank you at me. I gave her a welcoming smile.

"Harry, this is Margaret, the owner of this humble place."

Margaret stuck her hound out for Harry to shake and as he was about to hesitantly shake it, she pulled him in for a big hug. He almost tumbled over at the surprising gesture, but I only laughed. It was just like Margaret to openly welcome newcomers.

As Harry pulled away, a ground shaking sound erupted. He sheepishly looked up, realizing it was his stomach. Margaret and I laughed, "Let's get you something to eat, dinner's being served."

The rest of the day consisted of showing Harry around the place and introducing him to other people.

As it was getting dark outside, I decided to show Harry to his room. I realized he didn't have any luggage so settling in wouldn't be a problem.

The room was bare with white walls and it held a twin size bed with a small bathroom annexed into it. There was a small dresser on one side of the room that currently lay empty.

Harry looked around the room, grateful for what he was given. He took a seat in the bed, relishing in the comfort and warmth of his new home. He looked up at me, tears in his eyes, "Thank you, for everything you've done for me."

And while he hadn't spoken much and seemed hostile in his ways, I knew he meant it, from every inch of his heart.