funyuns ARE stupid

"Funyuns. Seriously."

Rows and rows of shitty food, shitty because of the effects it has on your body, not because of the taste. It all tastes fine, something Jeongguk indulges in when he feels he has the right to indulge. As though he's earned it. Shitty gas station food.

A yellow package is thrown into a small basket, one that Jeongguk is carrying by his hip, hand gripped around the handle while the other hand admires all of the options, fingers running along the plastic.

"What would you suggest I buy?" He asks, meeting Taehyung's judgmental stare, although is it really all that judgmental? Because Taehyung's smile is wide and his eyes are crinkled up, and their only ride is an old rickety bicycle that Jeongguk's supposed to be keeping a constant eye out for. Right. He should really invest in a bike lock.

"Dunno," he gives a half assed shrug, walks a little bit closer and grabs the funyuns from their place, throws them back onto the shelf with mock aggression, "but definitely not funyuns."

Jeongguk gasps, no longer paying attention to the food items, but if he's totally honest, he never was in the first place, "do you have a personal vendetta against funyuns or something?" And Taehyung's smile was teasing, but it drops into an oval and it's him who's gasping now.

"Are you trying to tell me you don't remember?" He looks incredulous, and Jeongguk's confused, just staring back with raised eyebrows.

"Remember what?"

Now Taehyung puts a hand over his heart, doing his best to look genuinely offended, but it just makes Jeongguk reel with laughter, almost dropping the basket, choking out another, "What, why do you look like I just," he pauses, thinking of an analogy, "told you your shoes are ugly or something?"

"Well you see Jeongguk," the comment seems to register late, and his eyes splay open, "wait, are you calling my shoes ugly?"

Jeongguk shakes his head slowly, but then he looks down at the shoes, and well. They're red and green, which would look good if it were Christmas time, but it's not, so Taehyung kind of just looks like an idiot.

Taehyung follows his gaze and inspects the shoes himself, before letting out a forced exhale. "Wow. Low blow."

"Was that a shoe pun?"

"Shut the fuck up," this makes them both start laughing, but Taehyung talks through the laughter, determined, "you're making me get sidetracked."

"From?" Jeongguk tilts his head, and now he's leaning, elbow braced on one of the shelves, knocking into a bag of doritos, but he doesn't care about the doritos, because Taehyung. Taehyung's three feet away from him, smile unwavering, and he was right earlier, because he can still see the stars even if they're not physically there.

He sees them now.

"From the point." In his teeth, in the way he looks up a bit at that before his eyes land back on Jeongguk again, and more teeth show.

"And what may that be?" Theres a thought process behind what Jeongguk's saying, it's careful, calculated. It comes naturally but it also doesn't because Jeongguk's going for anything that'll garner the biggest reaction possible from Taehyung. His attention.

"That, you," he puts emphasis on the word, reaching over and flicking Jeongguk's chin lightly, which Taehyung has done a million times before, but this time it makes Jeongguk's stomach swarm, "forgot a key memory in our friendship archive."

Jeongguk raises an eyebrow again, and maybe they'll get stuck like that, halfway up his forehead, and he watches Taehyung say the words as he leans backwards. Away from Jeongguk. So Jeongguk can breathe properly, but he's not all that sure he wants to.