Chapter 5: The Antagonist

Chapter 5

     On the last day of school, Posy and Jamie arrived home to see a car parked in the Wilsons' driveway. They exchanged looks.

     "Should we go introduce ourselves?" Posy asked.

     "Because we saw a car?" Jamie responded with his eyebrows raised. "Don't you think that's a little weird?"

     Posy sighed and followed her brother to the house. He'd probably think she was weird if she told him one of the Wilsons's sons was going to be her soulmate. He'd probably think she was completely crazy if she mentioned they were fictional characters and they were in a love story. She found it a little hard to believe herself while she was in this world, but there was still the fact that the past twenty-four hours felt like eight months.

–––

     This story sucks. Why do you people read this stuff?

     "You had better not be giving up right now."

     I groaned. "Go away, Posy."

     "Are you going to erase my story? My life? My existence?"

     "Funny," I said. "I don't remember making you such a drama queen."

     "You've been watching a lot of Community lately. It's seeping into your work."

     "Your life will still be here on Wattpad. I'll leave it up. But it's over."

     "So I'll never meet my soulmate?"

     "Spoiler alert––"

     "No no no!" Posy covered her ears. "I don't want to know!"

     "Are you sure?" I asked, "You're really curious. It's not like you'll find out any other way."

     "How could you?" she asked me, "After all we've been through?"

     "Posy," I said. "This story is boring. The most interesting parts are the conversations we have, and they have nothing to do with the story. I only include them to keep myself from falling asleep during your bits."

     "Hey!"

     She crossed her arms like Annie from Community.

     "Relax. I'll put you in Jinxed."

     "What's Jinxed?"

     "The Skye Chase sequel."

     "No!" Posy pouted, "Please, no."

     I rolled my eyes. "Fine! I'll remember you when I read you in another eight months."

     "No! Please! Please don't quit my story! What about Ava? What about your readers?"

     "There are no readers," I said, "There's nothing to read because nothing is happening!"

     "No need to shout."

     I rolled my eyes. "I didn't shout. I used italics. No one heard a thing."

     "Why is my story so boring?"

     "I don't know," I admitted, rubbing my temple. "Nothing happens."

     "Well why can't you just fast-forward to the part where I meet my soulmate? That's something that happens, right?"

     I shrugged. "Sure, I guess. But I can't. It feels like cheating."

     "At least you aren't wasting several pages with just a single month written on each one."