CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

"YOU'RE SHITTING ME AREN'T YOU GAFFNEY"

~•~
kacy mcfall never expected to be on team USA, she also never expected her bestfriend julie calling her at 6 am on a saturday. but, here she was, awakened by the blaring of her phone on her bedside table.

"🎶 don't you hear me, wake up chrissy! i don't like this chrissy wake up!🎶"

"are you fucking kidding me right now."

someone had to have died. the only person who knows my personal number was julie. anyone else would've called our home phone. so what is julie gaffney, known night owl, doing calling my phone at 6:04 in the morning?

i groaned, messily trying to find my phone, hitting it to the ground, and then groaning again. finally grabbing it by the charger. i took a breath, and pulled the phone to my ear.

"...hello-"

"HEYYYYY STRANGER! GUESS WHO JUST CALLED MY MOMMY ON OUR PHONE..."

i pulled the phone away from my ear, my migraine forming. how can she be energetic right now? i hesitantly put back the phone, a couple inches from my ear. 

"-OF THE JUNIOR USA HOCKEY PROGRAM!" she finished. "wait rewind- who called your mommy?" i laughed. she whined at me and i know she was rolling her eyes on the other side of the phone. "the. director. of. the. junior. usa. hockey. program." she spaced out, adding extra sass to it.

"well, what did he want?" i asked, gradually waking up. she giggled excitedly. "why don't you just come over for yourself and find outt." she sang.

"gaff it's 6 in the morning i'm not just gonna-" the dial tone sounded in my ear. bitch hung up on me.

"YOU'RE SHITTING ME AREN'T YOU GAFFNEY"

that was julie "the cat" gaffney, aka my bestfriend of 6 years. we met in the third grade when we both made our ymca hockey team. since then we've been inseparable. we both play on our hometown team and have made state for our team 3 years in a row. lucky for us our mothers are bestfriends and live in a 2 mile radius.

i took a deep breath and got up. "why is she even my friend." i asked myself. i pulled on my state sweatshirt and a pair of joggers, laced up my converse, and braided my hair to the side.

i headed into the kitchen and grabbed a banana. i'm gonna need the nutrients for my brain before i go find out what julie wants. i think that every time i hang out with that girl i lose a few brain cells. instead of deciding to give my darling mother a heart attack, i wrote a note for her saying that i was heading to julie's place. i started outside and grabbed my bike.

i love riding my bike in the morning. it gives me a break from all the hectics in my life. my brother, hockey, school, and even my mom. sometimes i sneak out and watch the sunrise from our roof. but no one knows that so it's like my own little secret oasis.

i pulled up outside of gaffs house and parked my bike. i knocked on her window and was met with the insane grin of julie gaffney. she opened her window and frantically pulled me inside.

"ow!- jules stop that hurts-" "-sorry! you gotta fit your leg through the window. you think we have done this more than once that it would be easy now." i laughed as i finally got through her ridiculously small window.

she engulfed me in an airtight 2 second hug and tugged me along to her living room. her mom greeted me in her pajamas still and gave me a quick hug. jules sat me on her couch, plopping down beside me. "so, the guy called my mommy." she began, "the guy called your mommy." i repeated. "and he asked her if i could be relocated to minnesota," she continued "and he asked if you could be located to minnesota!" i repeated. "to play for team USA HOCKEY!" she finished, grinning.

we squealed and jumped all around. julie has put so much time into hockey and perfecting being a goalie. i'm so proud of her. "but wait, there's more!!" "how could there be more?" i laughed.
"well, they also asked for your home phone!!" we squealed yet again and tackled each other in bear hugs.

"wait, if they asked for my home phone, then... OH NO." we simultaneously ran out of the house and started frantically biking back to the house hoping they hadn't called yet.

we arrived in record time and threw our bikes on the lawn. we rushed into the kitchen where my home phone resides, only seeing my mother in her slippers and nightgown hanging up the phone.

"since when does a man with the last name tibbles want you to play hockey for the united states?!" she excitedly yelled. we all then squealed and had a group hug. "since gaff and i became the worlds best hockey duo!" i replied, cheeks red with pure joy and exhaustion from the biking. julie giggled and ran to pick up my brother in her arms. he was only 5 years old and 30 something pounds so he wasn't much to lug around.

"your sister and i are gonna be on a wheaties box!!" julie shook him till he turned a pale white. "you might wanna let him go before he pukes on you.." i laughed.

she immediately let him go and took a step away from him.

we made eye contact and burst out into giggles, we are just kids and are already famous.

(edited)

950