Chapter 24: Battle of the Throne Room

/Chapter 24: Battle of the Throne Room

Percy kept hold of Zoe's hand and stepped up to the doors. The bronze doors creaked open as they walked in, their footsteps echoed on the marble floor. The constellations twinkled coldly on the ceiling of the great hall. The hearth was down to a dull red glow. Hestia, in the form of a little girl in brown robes, hunched at its edge, shivering. In the firelight, the thrones cast evil-looking shadows, like grasping hands.

Percy and Zoe approached the childlike goddess and knelt. The flames of the hearth perked up a bit at their presence./

Hestia smiled at the company.

/Hestia looked at the two holding hands and smiled, "You two bring hope. The fire was almost dead before you arrived." She said softly.

Percy raised an eyebrow, "My lady?"

Hestia smiled, "You two represent the hope of Olympus. I believe our fates rest on both your shoulders, not just my champion's."

Zoe's eyes widened, "Me? But why?"

Hestia looked down at their intertwined hands, "Do you remember what the Fates said in the throne room two years ago after your quest to rescue my niece?"/

"That fate had changed," Zoe mumbled.

/Zoe nodded, "They said fate had changed. Some things remained the same while others had changed."

"Yes I believe they were speaking about the two of you. Your fates are now intertwined. The fate of Olympus and western civilization rests on both of your shoulders." Hestia said softly./

"So basically we can't break up?" Percy asked.

Zoe immediately looked at Percy. "Excuse me?"

"Um, not that I would want to," Percy said quickly. "Just curious."

Zoe elbowed his side. "Good. You better mean that."

"Come on, Zoe. I would never," Percy said.

/Both Percy and Zoe's eyes widened as they subconsciously gripped each other's hands tighter causing both the fire in the hearth and Hestia's smile to grow a bit.

"I believe you had an idea my champion. I think you should do it before it is too late." Hestia said before kissing Percy softly on the forehead as vanishing in a column of fire.

Zoe looked at Percy questioningly only for Percy to look away towards the thrones of the gods. He let go of her hand and walked into the middle of the throne room.

"Percy, what are you doing?" Zoe asked cautiously.

"I need to talk to Poseidon." He replied slowly as he stood in the middle of the throne room./

Poseidon's eyes widened. "Please don't do what I think you're about to do."

/"But he's in Atlantis and I don't think you'll be able to Iris Message with the war going on. I am sure Iris has fled somewhere safe to wait out the war." Zoe replied quickly.

"I know." He said as he walked forward to Poseidon's throne.

Zoe's eyes widened in realization, "Percy, don't. Gods will kill without question if someone sits on their throne."

Percy nodded slowly, "I know but I have to risk it. It's the only way to get his attention right now." He said as he stood looking at the giant throne in front of him.

Zoe watched with worry as he jumped up grabbing the seat and pulled himself up before sitting down on the throne of the God of the Sea.

At first nothing happen but then the throne rumbled violently. A wave of gale-force anger slammed into Percy's mind.