Arc 1.1-1.3: Terminal Supermarket

Ch1 - First Entry

Very late at night, in a convenience store that was about to close.

Xiao Lan changed out of his uniform and was packing up his things. His youthful features were elegant, and there was a cold fairness to his skin. Usually, he would hurry home and race to shower and sleep because he had to wake up at 5 the next morning to start his other job.

But at that moment, he didn't know where he should go.

He had just been chased out by his landlord today because the latter wanted to increase the rent of his rotten place, which creaked all day on the verge of collapse with water dripping during the day and cold wind slipping through the cracks at night. And Xiao Lan, who had used nearly all of his income to pay off his debts, truly didn't have much money left.

Thus, after being ridiculed grandly for being poor, Xiao Lan could only pack up and leave. Right now, everything he owned was in the black backpack in his hand.

Wondering whether he should find an unoccupied house and make do for the night, Xiao Lan opened the door of the staff room.

It was pitch black outside the door.

Xiao Lan suddenly felt that something was wrong. Just now, did he... turn off the lights?

Since he hadn't left the convenience store, why would he turn off the lights? Moreover, the light switch was located opposite the staff room.

The darkness was abnormally silent; even the usual sound of the occasional car passing by had disappeared.

In one corner, a darkness thicker than the night seemed to be spreading out.

The situation was odd. Xiao Lan directly strode past the deep darkness with his long legs as he charged out of the convenience store. As a qualified employee, he didn't forget to lock the door either.

After he exited the store, he straightaway got onto his bicycle, which was so old the whole thing made noise on top of its little bell. The tall and slender youth stepped on the pedals with all his strength and used the fastest speed to leave the convenience store behind.

The clamor and exhaustion of the day was carried on the night wind in the city as it blew through his slightly curly black hair, bringing with it the smell of dust. It couldn't be considered refreshing, but it was the smell that Xiao Lan was most familiar with. Today was still the same.

Unwittingly, the wind stopped, and the strange feeling still didn't fade.

It was too quiet – quiet to the point that it was strange. There weren't any sounds of people or of air-cons running. There wasn't even the sound of the wind, or of birds and insects. It was as if the entire world was stationary right now.

From afar, the dense darkness gradually permeated everything. It swallowed up the street lamps that were already flickering feebly, and bit by bit, the street sank into a darkness which approached Xiao Lan step by step.

Seeing that things didn't look good, Xiao Lan adjusted his grip on the handlebars and rushed in the opposite direction of the darkness.

But after passing several streets, everything was just as silent. He lifted his eyes for a look, and the darkness was approaching gradually from every direction.

— He was surrounded.

The darkness blustered and corroded its way toward him. In the next second, Xiao Lan sank into a completely dark world.

.

When he opened his eyes again, there was a door in front of him.

It wasn't high quality stuff; it was the type of shoddy wooden partition doors that were usually found in public toilets. The glued-down surface veneer had peeled off, dangling as if unsure whether to fall off or not and exposing the wooden fragments underneath. On the door was even written: