Pacific Classic

~Ryan~

I met my trainer at the barn.
"He's ready," he said. "You're not begonia believe who this horse is." He was grinning. I looked in the stall over his shoulder and gasped. Repossess. I whistled the special whistle I had always whistled just to him. His head snapped up and he whirled around. When he saw me, he bickered and thrust his head at my face. He licked me, and I hugged him around the neck. Repossess. I found him, and I owned him.
"From now on, this horse will only get the very best. ONLY the very best."
"I understand," my trainer said.

It had been an hour and a half since then, and I walked Repo around the paddock. My dad had come to see my horse run, and I hoped he too would recognize Repossess.

The field for the 2030 Pacific Classic:

1) Repossess...15-1
2) Share the Ride...5-2
{Candy Ride x Common Hope}
✨Full brother to Shared Belief✨
3) Texas Toast..10-1
{Texas Red x Toasting}
4) The Real Deal...8-1
{Into Mischief x Royal Delta}
5) Sense for Gold...12-1
{Goldencents x Zazu}
6) Danish Silver...12-1
{Bayern x Cat By the Tale}
7) Hold On...17-1
{Leave the Light On x St. John's River}
8) Just Okay...3-1
{Justin Phillip x Joyful Victory}
9) Unagi...10-1
{I'll Have Another x Princess of Sylmar}

~Ryan~

I bounced up and down nervously as Repossess went to the post for the Pacific Classic. If he got first or second I could probably send him to the Breeders' Cup. I hadn't yet found out that he was still undefeated.

~Repossess~

"They're in the gate...and they're off! It's Sense for Gold going up for the early lead along with Danish Silver. Share the Ride is third, and maybe he can win this race like his brother 11 years ago. In fourth is second choice Just Okay, followed by The Real Deal, Texas Toast, Hold On, Unagi, and finally, Repossess. Into the first turn, Sense for Gold and Danish Silver are neck and neck. Share the Ride is tracking them, and The Real Deal is 3 lengths off him in fourth. Unagi has made a move from second-last and is speeding up on the outside! Unagi has now taken first coming out of the turn, and Share the Ride is up there with him as Sense for Gold struggles for third. Danish Silver is fading, and Just Okay and Texas Toast are moving up. Hold On is way back there with Repossess..."

I was last and really had no desire to go anywhere anytime soon, but then I remembered that Ryan was my owner again. How would he feel if the first race he owned me for in a long time was my first loss?!
Crap! I had to move!

"Entering the final turn, Repossess has exploded! Repossess, searching past Hold On and Danish Silver. He's picking them off in bunches! Repossess flying past Texas Toast, Sense for Gold, The Real Deal, Just Okay, and Share the Ride, who is desperately holding on to second! Unagi is a length away and leading the field as they turn for home! Repossess is running down Unagi in the middle of the stretch! Repossess, driving for the lead! Unagi, digging in with all he's got, but Repossess is too much for him! They're breaking away from the field by 5! Just Okay scrambling for third and Share the Ride is chasing after him. The Real Deal is fighting back for fourth. Repossess has a sudden burst of speed and is opening daylight! Repossess by 3 at the wire!"

I was really tired, and could barely will myself to gallop through my cool-down. I was led to the winner's circle, and Ryan held my bridle. I laid my head on his shoulder and licked his face. That was the exact moment when the camera flash went off.

I was led back to my stable and given a HUGE bucket of oats. Ryan held out his hand and offered me a sugar cube. I stared at it for a second before gobbling it up. I realized I was stupid to have given them up for even a second. I quickly lay down and fell asleep.

Complete Order of Finish:
(1) Repossess
(9) Unagi
(8) Just Okay
(4) The Real Deal
(2) Share the Ride
(3) Texas Toast
(5) Sense for Gold
(7) Hold On
(6) Danish Silver