Tragic Pasts

And so many more matches fought until finally it became Sonya's turn. As she made her way to the arena, it seemed as though she was the only female competitor, yet she had a purpose to be here. The thoughts of her captured men were running through her mind, were they being tortured or perhaps worse? The images filled her head, she saw her men starving to death and being brutally whipped and tortured. Blocking these images out of her head, she continued to walk forward, until finally she reached the arena.

"All right, let's see." She said to herself, waiting in the arena, until her opponent approached the other side of the arena. He was fairly tall, and had the muscles to build. He cracked his knuckles a bit, but when he saw his opponent, he immediately burst out into laughter. This laughter annoyed Sonya, she knew the cause immediately.

"Don't think that just because I'm a woman, I can't kick your ass!" She was fuming and it clearly showed as she took her fighting stance. When Shang Tsung announced the word to begin the battle, Sonya leapt into the air and swinging her foot around struck her opponent across the face, he lost his balance, but Sonya did not relent, taking her other leg, she swept him across the face again, causing blood to come out of his mouth.

"Wow…" Johnny said, in shock.

"Yeah, she certainly knows how to kick some ass." Liu added, amused and impressed at the same time.

"You know, you gotta admire a woman like that. She has a great mind and a great fighter to boot." Johnny said, admiringly.

Liu turned his head sharply and replied to him. "It's not just her mind that you're admiring."

"That's true." Johnny admitted, casually.

Meanwhile Sonya had knocked her opponent back several feet and with a mighty kick to the chest, she had knocked him flat on his back. His chest heaved up and down heavily. Sonya had won the fight.

"Flawless Victory." Shang Tsung declared and with that Sonya made her way back to the stands.

"I don't care what I have to do to win, but I will rescue my men no matter what it takes." The fire burning deep inside her, she continued to walk, proud of herself and her victory.

In the stands, Sonya retook her seat.

"Good job, Sonya." Liu commented, admirably. "You're quite a good fighter."

"Thanks." Sonya said, then turning her head, she looked at Cage, who did not say a word. "You have anything to say?" she asked, irritated.

"Nope. Not one thing." He said, quickly. "Absolutely nothing."

"Well, as though I needed your compliments."

"Well, good for you." Johnny retorted angrily.

Sighing, Liu interrupted. "You two sound like an old married couple, you know that?"

And so as the battles came and went, the man Sonya had been waiting for, Kano had come to fight, Kano chuckled and took out two butterfly knifes. The battle was most brutal, the spectators watched in horror as Kano mercilessly stabbed his opponent to death after a short while.

Liu was overcome with disgust at the methods applied, Johnny. however watched in sheer shock. While Liu Kang and Johnny Cage watched with disgust and shock, Sonya sat with her fist clenched at her side. She was familiar with Kano's tactics, he enjoyed every moment of it. She recalled how her partner died…

"Damn you Kano." She thought angrily and then she and the others watched as with sickening thud, Kano's opponent fell to the ground, dead.

Now it was time for Sub-Zero's turn, as he stepped onto the arena, he eyed Shang Tsung. "Well, no sense in trying to do the job here." But still, the sudden appearance of Raiden troubled him, had he came to repeat his warning or was Raiden's appearance unrelated to him?