In Loving Memory

It's been a tough and exhausting day, indeed, as Sadjie is quietly and lethargically walking down the slums of their neighborhood in Tondo, Manila. With every single step he takes, the world also keeps on turning on its own, without him knowing. Lights on the nearby lampposts have already started to light up one by one, as the whole district is sullenly turning into a gray and lifeless scenery.

Although this day has taken a lot of Sadjie's energy, it's quite memorable for him as this is one of the unforgettable and countless rallies he's ever been in his entire life as a human rights activist. This day has brought a blissful smile on his puffy face as their fight turned out to be unexpectedly successful at the university boulevard of the campus he's attending to as scholar.

Fighting injustices has never been new to Sadjie, for he firmly believes that he was born to be the voice of the voiceless even the first time he learned how to breathe by himself. When he was still an unaware young little kid, he was already used to going to a lot of rallies with his father who was shot to death by the group of unknown ruthless cops.

Ever since that day, he made a vow that he will seek justice for his beloved father by continuing the legacy he had left. He promised himself that he will continue fighting the inequality and stand against the oppression of every single dissent.

As soon as Sadjie entered their kanto, he can't help but to let out a silent smirk as he passes by a group of loud, tipsy tomadors asking him for a shot.

"No, thanks. I'm fine Mang Bentong," he quickly refuses, as the latter asked him to take a single shot of their staple liquor, Emperador. Sadjie just decided to continue on walking after he sheepishly grinned and waved the group a gentle friendly goodbye.

When he was already near their humble abode, he was caught off guard when he heard a sudden and loud disturbing noise resembling a sound of cracking flying dishes with the accompaniment of consecutive shouts of blasphemy. He just let out a heavy sigh and nonchalantly shook his head when he realized that it was coming from their neighbors who are a couple that are non-stop and constantly bickering over nonsense things through night and day.

Upon opening their small and nearly dissolved, full of patches wooden door, he saw his Nanay Madel who is busy doing something in their congested kitchen counter top. When his mother was already finished, she slowly turned and let out a long heavy sigh as she saw Sadjie standing near their door, quietly observing with both of his hands in his pocket.

"Hey, son! Dios Mio, you're not even talking that you're already home," she said before slowly putting down the bowl of rice she's carrying on their small rounded table.

"Oh, yeah, I forgot. Mano po, 'nay," said Sadjie, getting his mother's right hand and gently placing it on his forehead. "Sorry, 'nay. I am just too tired from today's rally."

Nanay Madel showed a subtle look of disappointment on her face before saying, "Rally, again? How many times do I have to tell you to stop participating on those kind of stuff?" She gave her forehead a gentle massage in dismay before she continue. "Those are just a cause of headache, Sadjie. You're just wasting your precious time over nonsense things."

"'Nay, are we going to fight about this over and over again?" Sadjie asked, slowly scratching the back of his neck before taking his seat on their jagged rounded table.

"Fine, fine. But, son, don't tell me I didn't warn you about this. This is just for your own welfare," Nanay Madel explained in concession, slowly shaking her head. "Anyway, come on, let's eat," she added before taking her seat and started to eat dinner.