Sorting

"Firs yers' this way!" I saw Hagrid say.
I've known Hagrid, and all the teachers at Hogwarts, since I can remember.
I wanted to go talk to him, but Harry beat me to it. I rolled my eyes and made my way to the boats. We all stared at the castle while making our way down to it. I mean, I have seen the castle a million times. But, there's something different about it when you're going to be a student there.
We got off the boats and headed for the castle. We were told where to go by a person I had never seen before. We went where we were told and we were stopped by Professor McGonagall.
"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But, before you take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin." When she said Slytherin, she looked at Draco, who looked pleased. "Now, while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will win you points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points will be awarded the house cup."
"Trevor!" A boy yelled as he grabbed a frog off the ground. He looked up at Professor McGonagall, who did not look pleased.
"Sorry." He said, going back to his place in the crowd.
"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily." She said while walking away.
"It's true then. What they were saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." Draco said.
"Harry Potter?" The boy whispered again.
"This is Crabbe and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy.
Draco Malfoy."
He made the same introduction to me. That must be how he greets everyone.
The boy I had saw at Kings Cross, (I think his name was Ron?) snickered when Draco said his name. It was quite rude.
"Think my names funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley." He said to Ron.
He turned to Harry.
"You'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Pottah. You don't want to make friends with the wrong sort." He said glaring at Ron. "I can help you there." He said sticking his hand out to Harry.
He stared at it and said, "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks."
Wow. I see Ron has had a bad influence on him. They're both really rude.
Professor McGonagall tapped Draco on the shoulder with a piece of parchment. He glared at Harry and went back to his place.
"We're ready for you now." She said. "Follow me."
I felt my heart jump!
She led us into the great hall.
"That's not real, the ceiling. It's bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in, Hogwarts: a history." A girl behind me said.
We were led to the front of the room where Professor McGonagall told us to wait.
"Now before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." She said as Professor Dumbledore stood up.
"I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. First years, please note that the Dark Forest is off limits to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch," he said pointing to the man I had seen earlier. "Has asked me to remind you that, the third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death." I shuddered.
"Thank you." He said, as if he had just said something normal.
"Now when I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses." Professor McGonagall said.
Then she began

Hermione Granger. (The girl I had heard earlier talking about the sky)

"GRYFFINDOR!!!"

Draco Malfoy.

"SLYTHERIN!!!"

Susan Bones

"HUFFLEPUFF!!!"

Ronald Weasley.

"GRYFFINDOR!!!"

Harry Potter.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

And finally,
"Abigail Snape?" She called.
I stepped up to the stool and she put the hat on my head.
"Hmmmm. Yes. Very interesting. You have Slytherin in your blood. From both sides, I see. But not the characteristics of a Slytherin. But, where to put you?" He pondered.
Then he said something I never thought I would hear him say.
"GRYFFINPUFF!"
What? Was that a house? I didn't think so. It wasn't mentioned.
The great hall fell silent.
"Now, what this means, Abby, is that you are both Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. You may choose which one you want to be in." Professor McGonagall said.
"I choose Gryffindor." I said. I wanted to be with my friends.
"Very well. You may go join your classmates." She said.
I went and sat next to Hermione.
Professor McGonagall tapped on her cup.
"Your attention, please."
Professor Dumbledore stood up.
"Let the feast begin!" He said as food came up into the table.
I was amazed. I had never been to a sorting ceremony before. I always had to stay back in my room. Dad didn't want me to see it until my first day at Hogwarts.
Turns out, this place is more than I could have imagined. It was perfect. It was home.