Chapter One: "Day Off"

November 5th, 2038

9:48:02

"Detective (L/N), I can't thank you enough for what you've done for this case," Captain Fowler's voice poured out of the speaker in (Y/N) (L/N)'s smart car. She was on her way to work that morning when her boss had called her, much to her dismay. It's not that she didn't like her boss - (Y/N) believed that Fowler was a respectable man - It's just that she hated to be interrupted while driving.

"Hey, don't mention it. I'm just hoping the jury'll have enough common sense this time to understand Davis's case. I can't believe they acquitted the last guy." (Y/N)'s brow knit together in concentration as the traffic light flashed yellow. She stopped by a construction site, full of androids pouring cement.

"Well, it wasn't your fault. That last prosecutor knew jack shit about what he was doing. Besides, with all the evidence Hank and you managed to scrape together, I think any lawyer this side of Detroit could win the case, easily."

"Thank you Captain," (Y/N) said through gritted teeth. What she wanted to say is that she  found the strongest bits of evidence, not Hank, but she really didn't feel like getting on Fowler's bad side that day.

"Anyways, I'll just get right to the point. The reason that I called was to let you know you can have the morning off." (Y/N) almost slammed the gas pedal down, she was so shocked.

"Really?"

"Well, mostly. Of course you'll still have to testify, but since no new cases have come up recently, I thought you and Hank might like a little break. Of course, still make sure the Richter case reports are in by tomorrow morning. Trial's comin' up in another three weeks, and we don't want the defense to use this against us again."

"Of course. Will do, Captain."

"Take care." With that, he hung up.

"Yes! Whoo!" (Y/N) took a hand off the wheel to pump a fist in the air. It had been moths since she had any time off, despite all the hard work she had been putting into the DPD lately. It was finally time all the uppers at her job respected her. Time for them to realize-

"Hey lady!! Move it!!" The man in the car behind her angrily shouted, flashing a rude gesture. (Y/N) was so wrapped up that she didn't realize her light had turned green.

"Sorry!" She yelled out the window, putting her turn signal on towards an empty parking lot. (Y/N) turned the car around, headed for the place she wanted to spend the rest of her morning at.

--------------------}◇{--------------------

(Y/N) pulled her car over next to a large house on Lafayette Avenue. Around three stories tall and made of bricks older than CyberLife itself, this house was very familiar to the young detective-in-training. She put her fingerprint up to the scanner, and the doors slid open.

"Alarm deactivated. Welcome, (Y/N)," A disembodied voice announced from above her. She smiled, taking in the nostalgic aroma of the open, well-lit room. The foyer, while having a Victorian style staircase and a vintage tiled floor, was full of modern furniture and art.

"Hello (Y/N)! What can I do for you?" An android with amber skin and lively green eyes came through a door beneath the staircase.

"Oh, hey Markus! Fowler gave me the morning off, and I was just wondering if Carl would be in the mood for a visit? If he isn't that's okay, I can just-"

"No, no. I'm sure he'd be delighted. Carl's been missing you lately." Markus motioned for her to follow, "This way, he's just started eating his breakfast." (Y/N) followed him into another open room, this one covered in bookcases from wall to wall. A railed balcony circled over their heads, while the warm morning light of Detroit wafted in though the tall windows.