Prologue

Evil is not the word I would use to describe myself.

In fact, I, Lorraine Walters, and the word "Evil" have never been uttered in the same sentence. Ever.

It might be hard to believe but guess who never got lumps of coal for Christmas?

This chick! That's right. Never been on the naughty list even though I have always wanted to punch my brother in the face every time he farted and blamed it on me. I usually go to my bedroom, lock the door and scream into my pillows every time he did that. 

Now the key is to be very silent here, so that people don't know that you actually do have feelings or that you get angry like a normal human being sometimes because you're always polite like a robot without real feelings.

See, I'm a nice person. Even my bullies tell me that I'm too nice in a very mean insulting way which I really don't understand because it's basically a compliment disguised under the insult?!

Like are you insulting me or complimenting me? Make up your mind already, Dum-Dum.

Of course, I never said that out loud. I don't want to get sucker-punched in the gut again. It sucked once and I'm sure it'll be more painful the second time.

An involuntary shiver running down my spine jerked my body, making me rattle the metal chains covering my wrists. The sound of the rattling chains seemed to echo all around the cold room and after a minute, it stopped.

Then it was silent.

Dun Dun Dun!!!   It was more dramatic when I imagined it in my mind.

Anyway, back to my original reason for this monologue and I know I'm overselling myself here but just so we're clear, I am that harmless wallflower girl in high school who always wears oversized hoodies like it's her body armor or the invisibility cloak.

So according to what I've said to establish my character as a human being, you can certainly imagine my surprise when I got arrested for a bunch of satanic murders in my ever peaceful little-suburban town of Haven Port, Population: 8760.

Well, Population: 8755 now, anyways.

You might ask why I got arrested in the town of 8755 people where anyone could've done it, under the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't me.

Well, it's a funny story actually.

I got arrested because I write an online blog. Anonymously, of course. Duh.

Let me explain a bit more elaborately.

I write about things that are best to be left alone. Things that are made up but something inside you just wants to test it to see if it can be something more than what it is.

Mercy isn't something that I deliver to the victims in my twisted urban legends. And that is what brought my downfall.

I never meant anything I wrote in my blog. It was just stupid local legends that I made up so that I can get more readers online.

Scary shit sells. That's what my dumbass thought when I wrote that stuff under the influence of caffeine.

My mom was right. I drank too much coffee and now I'm in trouble. Some deep without-a-paddle-in-a-creek kind of trouble.

Yes, you guessed it right.

All of the victims were killed just like I wrote in my blog. And wait for the big reveal... Drrrrrrrrrrrrum-roll, please!

I had the motives, means, and opportunities to kill all of them or so sayeth Detective Ambrose because I hate the dead people.

Wait, that came out wrong. Let me rephrase that.

I was the victim of all five of the murder victims while they were alive.

So, it's safe to assume that they are on my hit list.

Detective Ambrose actually said it was easy for him to suspect me because I had a folder on my laptop named "My Hit List- People Version, not the music list."

So, here I am, now. My memory is punishing me with cringe-worthy flashbacks of my capture while I'm sweating under the fluorescent lights with burnt coffee smell hanging in the air of an interrogation room in the Haven Port police station.

Way to go, Lori. Whoop!

~~~~

Author's note:

Let me know what you guys think about this. This is something I wanted to try writing because who doesn't love a good mystery thriller? Lol

Anyways, I would really appreciate your thoughts and comments on this, guys.

So, vote, share and comment if you like it!

From yours sincerely, 

A.D. (The Dark Poet)