Chapter 6

Night fell over the land like a dark canvas spread apart, blindfolded all creatures and kingdoms. She was rescued by the knight and the heat he left on her lips remained warm. She remembered the sensation so profoundly and could feel the remnants of it shivering in her heart. He told her it was not safe in the forest so he brought her to his castle. Secured and comfortable, she rested in a guest room. He said goodnight to her and now she was left alone, reminiscing that kiss in an unhealthy cycle by the windowsill. Everything was absurdly tranquil and almost dead-like until she heard a series of painful screams. She was alarmed and -

"Isabella Marchwood!"

"Of course! It's a perfectly fine day today! It's Lizzie's turn, mama!" Isabella looked down at her book again with a speed as fast as her looking up.

"Isabella Marchwood, have you even paid any attention, my love?" the Viscountess asked rather impatiently and commanded, "put down your book now this very instant, Izzie, and look at me."

Isabella gave an unpleasant sigh and looked at her mama and sister. It was when she saw a weird suspicious smile on both of their faces that she realised she was not in any trouble.

And she was so rudely stopped again by the Viscountess the moment she went back to her reading.

"Isabella, dear, the Earl of Lockwood wants to invite you to their Estate for three weeks!" Lady Marchwood exclaimed in rapturous joy.

Elizabeth remained silent as she sat next to the window, looking at the late night scenery and wondering when the snow would begin.

"Mama, I don't know that old gentleman," Isabella replied casually, "what does he want to do with me?"

"Oh, good heavens! Thank goodness that your papa is not here, otherwise, heavens forbid that he may get a heart attack by hearing your raw rustic words." the Viscountess wiped the pretentious cold sweat on her forehead and continued her dramatisation, "Isabella, the gentleman you've been dancing with all night is the only son of Earl Lockwood! The only son of the most powerful judge in Court!"

Isabella blushed at the picture her mother described - "the gentleman you've been dancing with all night".

"Although it could be too early to decide, it is a fact nonetheless that he wants to know you more before you are to marry his only son! Perhaps, the invitation is a test for you to see whether you are suitable! However, I dare say, you don't need a test at all. Your family state and quality are far more than enough to please his family. Yet, it's never a bad idea to be prepared. Now, Isabella, look at mama and tell me what you think about this."

Isabella didn't have time to consume every word her mama just told her. She was waiting for Elizabeth's rescue but nothing happened. The air became too quiet all of a sudden and such quietude was the most unbearable.

The Viscountess pursued, "Now, Isabella, you can't be a child forever. Tell mama what ideas you have upon this matter."

"I..... mama, I just met that gentleman and I don't even know his name. So, to the matter, I -"

"My words, dear Izzie! Please, do you mean to tell me that after a whole night dancing together, you haven't even tried to ask the gentleman what his name is? Oh, my heart, don't worry, mama will do the rest for you. You simply have to listen and obey, alright?"

Isabella's blushful face only got worse and she nodded. She held onto her book and wasn't conscious that she was pressing hard against the pages and creases started to form.

"What is his name, mama?" Isabella asked quietly as if she was afraid the wind might catch her voice and sent it to him.

The Viscountess sighed and answered, "Anderson George Arthur Lockwood. Andie is his nickname. But I assure you to go formal during your visit to their Estate."

"But, mama, I can't possibly announce Anderson George Arthur Lockwood every time I call him!"

At this reply, Elizabeth who had been silent and absent minded for quite a while finally burst into laughter and repeated, "Anderson George Arthur Lockwood, Anderson George Arthur Lockwood, Anderson George Arthur Lockwood, yes, Izzie, that's really difficult and chunky!"

"Definitely not, Isabella!" Lady Marchwood held her laughter and struggled to be serious, "I hope it is just a joke of your cheeky playfulness. After all, I wish not that you've wasted all those hours with Miss Helen during those courtesy lessons. No, Isabella, just call him Mr Anderson or Mr Lockwood, either you prefer. Don't be too informal nor too formal."

Isabella's mind was covered with a thick layer of fog and she replied nevertheless, "Yes, mama."

***

It was terribly late for her normal bedtime but she didn't have the urge to sleep. Instead, she found it incredibly exciting if she stayed awake reading her book all night! So, it shall be done. She lit two candles by her bedside drawer and read quietly and comfortably in her bed.

At the other side of the room, Elizabeth crawled down her bed, fetched her night robe and brought a candle night with her. To Isabella, she seemed to be about to go out into the garden. Elizabeth stopped her way when she spotted Isabella's warm gleaming candles and her cosy reading posture.

"Izzie, it's too late, what are you doing wild awake?" Elizabeth asked with a tone of frustration and a bit of disappointment. Isabella might understand the frustration but she didn't perceive the taints of disappointment in her voice. Why should she be disappointed over something so light and frivolous, her simply late night read?

"I will go to bed after this chapter but where are you going, Lizzie?"

Elizabeth was shocked by the sudden turn of table. She fiddled with the end of her braids and Isabella knew she only acted this way when she was nervous.

"I can't sleep," Elizabeth replied rashly, "I will be walking in the garden for a while."

Not fully convinced, Isabella gave up her cosy posture and walked to her sister. She held her hands and she felt something was off. She looked at her sister and asked tenderly, "Lizzie, you can always trust me with your burden, you know it, right?"

"Izzie, I -"

"You don't need to hide it, Lizzie. You've been sad ever since this morning. You've been even sadder during the ride home. Tell me, Lizzie, what's happened? If it is too personal, I promise I won't tell, not even mama! I will even be perfectly careful not to make any faces! Is it about the Baron from Longenton?"

Elizabeth gave a long desperate hopeless sigh which alarmed Isabella and she replied, "It's not about the Baron from Longenton at all. Actually, it's never about the Baron from Longenton."

"What? I don't understand, Lizzie. What do you mean?"

"I mean...... I don't know anymore. Perhaps, it's never meant to be. It's all wrong at the start. Oh, Izzie, I can't talk about it. I desire not to talk about it. I abhor at the thought about it! I..... I am too exhausted."

Elizabeth might not be aware but Isabella, despite the dark surrounding, could see clearly the tears in her sister's eyes. Elizabeth turned tiresomely and crawled back into her bed. Her tears marked her pillow.

"Then, we shall not talk about it," Isabella replied softly and she walked to her sister's bed. She climbed in and rested her head beside Elizabeth's watery cheek. Elizabeth wrapped her sister's body tightly, like how she used to embrace her lover. Safe and sound, she buried her head in Isabella's chest and wept as if the world was about to end.