Chapter Three - Unsafe

Chapter Three: Unsafe

One night, very close to the end of the year, I couldn't sleep for some reason. I was going to see if Daphne was awake, but then I had realized she'd left earlier for a job interview in Diagon Alley. I was freezing, so I crept out of bed to go down to the fireplace in the common room. I was surprised to find that Draco was sitting there on the couch, picking at a place on his fingernail. I tiptoed around the couch, and Draco saw me. He scooted over so I could sit by him. I did.

"Whatcha doing up so late?" he asked me.

"Couldn't sleep," I answered.

"Same," he said.

Neither of us said anything for a while. Suddenly, though, a question popped into my head.

"Why do you like it so much?"

"Like what so much?"

"The Room of Requirement."

"Well," Draco began, and then took a huge breath, letting it out slowly, "I don't know, it kind of gives me a place where I can be me, no matter what anyone else thinks. I can be alone, and I don't have to pretend to be someone I'm not, or someone that people think I am. I mean, everyone expects me to be this tough, mean kid because my father and mother work for the Dark Lord. But sometimes I just feel like I'm... Not."

I waited a second, chewing on this. I looked at Draco for a second. His eyes reflected the fire dancing in the fireplace.

"Do you have to pretend when I'm with you?" I asked.

There was a pause before he answered.

"Sometimes. But I haven't been tonight."

"Well, I have to say, I love the real Draco, who's sweet, much better than the Draco who acts tough. I love the real you."

Draco smiled and exhaled slightly.

Silence for a while.

"By the way, I'm not going," I said.

"Going where?"

"I'm not leaving, like I said I was. I mean, this is your last year, and I wanna spend time with you before you leave."

Draco said nothing, but after a second, he put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me to him, hugging me tightly. When I turned my head to look up at him, I was surprised to find that his eyes were filled with tears.

I immediately shifted to sit cross-legged in front of him.

"What's wrong?" I asked, the concern in my voice quite evident.

"You're not safe here," Draco whispered.

"What do you mean?"

Draco paused. As he opened his mouth to answer me, though, a voice resounded through the common room.

"Would all students please come to the Great Hall... Immediately," Snape's voice resounded in the common room.

Draco and I got up. Suddenly, Draco grabbed my shoulders, pulled me in, and kissed me. It was short and sweet. He pulled away and looked me in the eye.

"I love you," Draco said, with such intensity that I was sure I was melting.

"I love you too," I whispered.

Then we left, out of the common room doors, side by side.

When we all got into the Great Hall, Snape made this huge speech about how Harry Potter was sighted in Hogsmeade. I tuned it out immediately, having nothing to do with it. Plus, I was tired.