shall we eat?

The sound of the car door closing behind her echoes throughout the Parks' family manor.

Roséanne Park sighs as she pulls her dress down. Family dinners between Park Pilwoo's family and hers has always been a tradition, ever since her dad helped out Uncle Pilwoo in planning his now successful petroleum company. Because of this occasion, an inseparable bond was formed between the both of them that every month since that certain year, they made up this (ridiculous) rule that their families should gather together--for breakfast, lunch, dinner, absolutely anything.

(It seems extremely corny to Roséanne, but she's already used to it.)

As per usual, the butler leads them towards the manor. Silently, her eyes traces the familiar interior of the place, passing through decade old paintings and well-detailed porcelain. She's been visiting this place almost her entire life that everything seems like home to her.

Ding!

The sound went unheard as her dad continues to talk to the butler. Her hand instantly goes to her newly bought YSL bag and grabs her phone, only to see a new message notification from her group chat.

 Her hand instantly goes to her newly bought YSL bag and grabs her phone, only to see a new message notification from her group chat

Suddenly, she receives a nudge on her arm.

"Put your phone down, we're here," Alice says as soon as she looks up. Right, she thinks, phones weren't allowed at the dinner table. It's a shitty rule, but Uncle Pilwoo said that it has something to do with communication or whatever.

"Fine," she grumbles as she returns it to her bag.

The butler dramatically opens the double doors to the dining area (Roséanne notices that it's repainted) and holds out his hand as if to welcome them.

Her mom pats the butler's arm as she and her dad enters first, and Alice gives the butler a quick nod before the both of them followed.

"Mason! Clare!" Uncle Pilwoo greets with a smile. Her dad greets him back and they did their usual handshake (whatever that was) and Uncle turns his head towards her and Alice. "Ah, Alice! I heard you've just returned from your trip to France."

Alice lightly smiles. "Yes, Uncle."

"How was it?"

"It was pleasant, of course. I just wished I stayed a little longer."

Uncle Pilwoo nods. "France is really a beautiful place, no?" Roséanne readies herself as she knows she'll be interrogated next. Her prediction comes true as his eyes transfers to her. "And of course, we have our lovely Roséanne."

"Hi, Uncle," she chuckles. "Don't act so surprised now, the last time we met was a week ago," she jokes, cracking a grin from the older man.

"You're right, you're right," he laughs a little.

"Shall we?" Her mum asks with a slight tilt of her lips, gesturing to the dinner table. "Roséanne says that she was craving for Mijeong's wagyu steak. She didn't eat anything before coming here," she whispers the last part for effect.

"What can I say," Rosé shrugs, "she makes the best wagyu." All of them shared a hearty chuckle before walking towards the table and taking their seats.

Her dad and Uncle Pilwoo situated themselves at both heads of the table while her mom, Aunt Mijeong, and Alice are together on one side. Roséanne, having no choice, sits on the other side between two empty chairs.

Looks like she'll be alone after all.

"Two chairs are empty," Alice comments, noticing the seats. "Where are Jimin and Jihyun, Uncle?"

"Jihyun is currently in Busan with his grandmother," Aunt Mijeong answers instead. "While Jimin-"

"I'm so sorry I'm late."

Roséanne visibly cringes at the voice. Ah, shit, she spoke too soon. Of course the devil himself would be here, of course he would. He lived here, after all.

See, she loves having dinners at the Parks, that is true. She absolutely adores the dishes that Aunt Mijeong cooks herself, she loves everything about this place. But the one thing that lessened her excitement about going here was their eldest son, Park Jimin.

They used to be friends, inseparable just like their fathers. Like any other story, though, something happened along the way that caused them build hatred for each other, and Roséanne would like it to stay that way.

"You should sit next to Chaeng," her dad says. She grits her teeth. Their families have been continously trying to fix their friendship, but nothing works. No matter how hard they try, she would never relent.

Roséanne rolls her eyes as Jimin sits on the chair next to her. Annoyed, she stands up to transfer to another chair.

"What are you doing?" Her mom asks.

"I'll sit here," she gestures to the chair. "I'm allergic to animal fur."

She sees her mom frown. "But he isn't even wearing animal fur?"

Roséanne snorts. "Well, he looks like one."

Alice's hand goes to her mouth.

"It's fine," Jimin speaks. "Let her sit there. I might lose my appetite if I catch a glimpse of her face."

Fuck you, she wants to say, but sits on the chair anyways. She places her bag on the seat between them, not even looking at the guy.

"So," Uncle Pilwoo coughs awkwardly. "Shall we eat?"