the ride

"So, you're finally riding me, huh," Jimin's annoying voice starts as she gets into his car. Immediately, her nostrils are filled with his strong cologne that she scrunches her nose. "What?"

"Nothing," she replies and closes the door. "Just tired." This isn't the first time she's been in this car, but she's in no mood to say that it smells like absolute shit, so she slumps back in the seat.

The car gradually moves. "What happened to your car?"

Roséanne shrugs. "It won't turn on. I'd have to get someone to fix it tomorrow morning."

Jimin doesn't say anything.

She feels him looking at her. "Hey, thanks for saving me back there," he says quietly after seconds of silence, but she knows what he means.

"Was she your ex?" Roséanne means Seulgi, the agent that showed them around earlier. It's unusual to see him awkward around other people as he's an extrovert, so the minute he shuts up, she knows something must be wrong.

Jimin chuckles. "It's crazy how we've been on each other's throats these past years but you still seem to know me well." The way he says it sounds as if he's met with nostalgia, and Roséanne can't help but snort.

"Some things never change, I guess," she agrees, she almost feels sad, in a way. But then, she remembers their argument over text last night and her emotions suddenly changes. "That doesn't change the fact that you're an asshole though."

He lets out a tsk. "You were late, it's your fault in the first place. I just did my part."

"Your part, my ass."

"Where?" Jimin asks as he turns his head to look at her butt. "Ow!" he yelps after receiving a slap on the arm from Roséanne. "That hurts!"

"Obviously," she glares at him. "Anyway, it was downright unfair of you to leave me there when you know for a fact that I didn't have my card," she accuses him while he rubs his reddening arm. "You're such a freak."

"For your information I've familiarised myself with your tactics that I already know the bullshit you're about to say right before it leaves your mouth," he answers pettily. "So when you whined, 'I don't have my card with me,'" he raises his voice to imitate her and she stares at him in shock, "I already knew what you were planning."

"I do not sound like that."

"But you do."

"No?"

"Yes."

"Fuck you."

"Yes, please."

Roséanne groans and crosses her arms. "God, Jimin, you're insufferable."

"Is that a yes?" he teases, and she tries her best not slam his head on the steering wheel.

"Jimin, just drive," she demands.

"I can do a lot of things while driving, you know?" he says suggestively. "I'm a multi-tasker."

"Great, why don't you drive and mind your own business while you're at it?" She gives him a forced smile. "I think you can do that."

Jimin pretends to think. "I don't know..."

Roséanne sighs in exasperation. "Hey, Jimin, I think you're forgetting that I'm only here for my dad and for Uncle Pilwoo, not you and your dickhead self. Are we clear?"

Silence abruptly engulfs the car.

Jimin doesn't respond, so she thinks she did something wrong. Did she say anything offensive? The tension rises up at each passing second, not one of them speaking.

"I know," he replies moments later. "I know."

Roséanne doesn't know what to say, so she plays with her phone.

And it's quiet for the rest of the ride.