Arc 1: 「Starting in a New World」 『First Mission and Come Forth; Water』

◇ ◇ ◇

The eastern forest was about a two hour walk away from Reflet. I had hoped we might be able to hitch a ride on a carriage if we happened to pass any, but not a single one passed by. Exactly two hours later, we arrived at the forest.

We made our way into the dense woodland, being sure to take note of our surroundings. At first I was frightened by every little noise, from birds crying to small animals moving around amongst the trees. Gradually, though, I started to notice something.

Strongly and surely... I could detect the presence of things around me. I could tell what or where something was, how it saw us... it's physique and weight, all manner of things like that. I knew what it was... Some kind of sixth sense, like enemy detection? It might've just been another one of those little gifts from God.

As I pondered the thought, I noticed something directing aggression toward us from just a bit ahead and to the left. I could feel the hostility clearly.

" "Hold up. Something's there." " The girls stopped in their tracks when I spoke up in sync with Touya.

I continued to gaze toward that point as my party got into a battle formation. As if it was waiting for that one movement, a dark shadow came leaping out and attacked us.

"Hup!" I quickly planted my heel in the ground and spun my body to evade, noting to myself internally that my reflexes had gotten stupidly sharp.

I could predict its movements. It was roughly the size of a large dog, with gray fur and a single black horn on its head. However, the beast before me was far too ferocious to be a mere dog... So this is what a Lone-Horned Wolf looks like.

As I turned to face it, a second one jumped out from the other side and attacked Elze. She stood before the creature and swung her fist straight into the creature's muzzle. Taking a smashing blow from her gauntlet-clad fist, the Lone-Horned Wolf was thrown to the ground with all the life knocked out of it. Killed in a single motion.

Thinking me distracted as I looked at Elze's fight, the wolf in front of me bared its fangs and leapt to attack again. I suddenly felt a boost of confidence as I flew at it with my two swords drew backwards before flicking my wrist and crossing my arms and sliding underneath the wolf. Blood was sent flying over the trees, but missed me as the wolf fell the the ground in quarters.

I felt weird as I thought I'd feel either guilt, sadness etcetera in killing an animal for the first time, but I didn't. Now, I was simply smiling when I looked at my party, but I saw the other three including Touya shiver slightly, but more wolves came, not giving anyone any chance to speak.

"Come forth, Fire! Hail of Red Stones: [Ignis Fire]!"

By the time I even heard those words, one of the wolves charging at me suddenly burst into flames. It seemed like Linze had backed us up from behind with her magic. Crap! I missed my first chance to see magic in action! Dang it...

The other wolf charged at me, but I dodged once again and sunk Babylonia into its head while stabbing Fafnir into its neck and dragging it along its entire body before letting its fall, its body dropping still.

I turned to see one of the other wolves leaping at Elze, who countered with a roundhouse kick to its stomach and sent it flying. Nearby, the final remaining wolf was burned to a crisp. Man, I just missed another chance to see magic...

"Guess we're done here. The request was to defeat five wolves, but we ended up taking out one extra, huh." Elze reported in, clanging her gauntlets together.

We'd beaten six in total, with each of us having taken out one except Elze and I who took out three. For our first fight, that was pretty good. Though really, it was only my first fight.