CH.00 | PROLOGUE

Today would not be a good day.

Seungmin knew this much.

His one night of good sleep was abruptly interrupted by the harsh vibrations of his phone and the irritating repetition of his ringtone playing exceptionally loud, especially when it was completely quiet.

He had tried to ignore it for a while now, but an hour had passed, and enough was enough.

He rolled over after contemplating on if he should just stay in bed and cease to exist, but only god knows what wrath would occur to him if he continues to defy the order of his boss, who was as stubborn as a mule.

Seungmin slowly watched out his arm into the cold, harshly grasping at his phone and putting it on speaker.

"What the hell do you want? It's 5am, the sun isn't even up yet! One night, Chan." He paused and sighed to himself. "ONE NIGHT IS ALL I AS-"

"Stop being so loud! You'll wake your neighbours, idiot. Listen to me carefully since I'll only say it once." Chan, Seungmin's boss, waited for a reply to make sure he was still listening. Knowing Seungmin, he'd fall asleep right away if he got too bored.

"Mhm." A tired voice replied from the other line, raspy and unenthusiastic. Chan shook his head and continued, knowing the younger would want the information he was about to tell him.

"A new body was reported just now. And the victim... the victims body- it has the mark. The mark. Seungmin, I know h-" The call was ended will a sudden click and the older squinted at his phone to check if the younger boy had the audacity to hang up on his boss mid-conversation.

"Seungmin? Kim Seungmin?" Hearing nothing in reply, he sat back down muttering incoherent curses and massaged his temples. "At least Jisung doesn't treat me with this disrespect."

"No, wait. He totally does."

__

Hwang Hyunjin had just finished unpacking his bags with a minimum amount of essentials inside. All his belongings could fit into his small suitcase, only consisting of his toiletries, clothes, money, and other things he cared enough to pack.

He especially remembered to bring the special, thick leather covered book passed down the family for centuries.

Settling down in his new small apartment proved to be a bit difficult. He wasn't used to living in discomfort, since he was born and raised into a very well-off family, owning various buildings and mansions to stay in.

His past room was large, and probably just more than half the size of the whole entire apartment floor, which was always kept clean and tidy.

This was a huge change to the room he reluctantly unpacked in, which was small and cramped, unclean and unfit for someone of his status. The whole apartment room was the size of his old closet, and in every corner of the room he could clearly see cobwebs and a few large spiders staying dangerously still.

Hyunjin was starting to doubt his life choices.

With his current situation starting to sink in, he settled down onto what seemed like the bed, which was really just a sad little mattress set down on the side of the room, along with a small, deflated pillow carelessly thrown on top.

"Couldn't they have at least given me a blanket? It's fucking freezing," Hyunjin mumbled aggressively, frowning upon the concerningly loud creaks the mattress made with every slight movement.

After staring at the growing mould on the wall in silence for quite some time, he thought that looking for a job was a good thing to do to get his mind off of his many problems. At least then he could have the hope of earning enough money to move out of this "shithole."

The phone screen was too bright when turned on suddenly, causing the poor boy to drop it onto the hard wood floor, causing a long crack to form across the screen protector.

Just when he thought it couldn't get any worse, when taking his focus away from his cracked screen, he began to become hyper aware of the noises around him, and a creaking bed along with uncomfortably loud moans could be heard behind the wall behind him.

The walls were basically paper thin, and his advanced senses suddenly didn't seem like a blessing anymore.

'Maybe I'll just die,' Hyunjin thought.