The Butterfly Girl

I laid awake for what felt like like 3 hours, but it was only 10 minutes. I've always hated school, people looked at me like I was an alien because I rarely speak. I only talk to adoptive family, mainly Shinobu, Kanae and Aoi. "Do I have to go to school Kanae?" I groaned, already knowing my answer. The dreaded "yes" echoed in my ears like a curse. They want the best for me, but I hate being treated like an idiot.

I shoved my covers off and threw on a hoodie walking to the kitchen. Sumi walked passed me, a helper for the house, and greeted me with a smile. I nodded gently being kind to her. I got into the kitchen, grabbing my food and sitting down to eat. Shinobu tries to make conversation with me but I ignore her

"Kanao, please go to school. You'll eventually make some friends, don't worry. You just have to make an effort too," Shinobu says calmly trying to convince me. "I better get something after," I coldly reply, still not wanting to go but I know they'll agree to what I want. I love them, I just can't show it, I'm afraid they'll reject me after I show my true self.

I put my plate in the sink and get a drink. I think about going to school and decide on going. "This year will be the one I break this hell, I will make a friend this year!" I try to get myself pumped and smile, but fail at the smiling. I packed a bag with a few pens and pencils, my notebook, a small stack of paper and a few books. Shinobu offered to do my hair so I let her.

Walking out I said goodbye trying to hide how much I didn't want to leave. "I know Kanae will get mad if I don't go in, and she did agree to getting me something after school," I groan to myself, looking around the street. Life hasn't been easy, my birth parents didn't care about me so I was eventually taken away. Kanae saw me at the adoption center and took me nearly immediately, apparently the Koucho family takes in a lot of orphans, mostly girls. I'm the oldest out of the girls they've taken in, so I have a sense of responsibility to care for the younger ones.

As I got closer to school I heared a loud voice, followed by a scream and a shout. "For the love of God, are they really being this loud in public. Idiots," I scoff at the 3 idiots I see in front of me. One with red hair, another with weird yellow hair and the last one with long blue hair. Absolute idiots

Word Count: 463
A/N: Firstly, sorry about the last page being two lines, it's bad I know. Any way, written in 2 days just as a foundation for what Tanjirou and Kanao are going to be like. Kanao is actually slightly based off of myself, I used to be a little shit. Also I will try to keep swearing to a minimum just so then everyone can read it, swearing can cause issues. Anyway, there's the end of a prologue I guess. Enjoy whenever I release a new chapter, stay safe!