Operation Child Endangerment

The plan is set. Will grabs Lucas's walkie-talkie, and before he leaves the back room, Erica reminds him yet again, "Free ice cream for life, nerd."

"I know. We won't forget. Good luck, Erica." He rushes after the others who are leaving the store.

"We'll make sure Billy's still there first, then set everything up," Mike says to Max and El by the door. He smiles when Will walks up. "Hey, everything ready?"

Will nods. He ducks out of the way of Steve and Dustin who barrel past bickering. Robin follows close behind, rolling her eyes and giving Will an apologetic look. "Don't know how we've survived them so far." She motions them out of the doorway as she closes up the store.

With binoculars in hand, Lucas slides up next to them. "Ready?"

"As we'll ever be," Robin replies and hurries after Steve and Dustin, both of whom have already made their way into the stairwell leading to the roof.

"See you guys soon," Will says and starts to follow Lucas to the stairwell.

Mike puts his hand on Will's wrist, making his breath hitch. Will looks up at him. His eyebrows are drawn together, the corners of his mouth turned down. "Are you sure you don't want to come with us?"

A twinge of regret pulls at Will, but he knows he's made the right decision. "Don't worry, Mike. We'll see each other afterwards. Your house at ten, right?"

"Okay." Mike's eyes are on his feet. "Keep in touch though. In case something goes wrong."

"Of course." About to turn around and continue on his way to the stairwell, Will startles when Mike pulls him into a quick hug. His heart lunges into his throat, but Mike's warmth leaves him as fast as it had come. "What was that for?"

"I don't want to leave things on a bad note."

Will scrunches up his face in confusion. "We're not."

"Hey, Byers!" Steve shouts from the stairwell. "Quit chatting and get up here already!"

"Okay, I'm coming!" He takes one last look at Mike, smiles, and runs up the stairs. When he gets to the roof, Dustin ushers him to the side overlooking the loading dock. He surveys the area below and sees that there are no guards stalking around with guns.

"What took you so long?" Dustin asks.

"Just talking to Mike."

Lucas gives him a look which he responds to by grabbing Lucas's walkie-talkie and switching the channel. "Mike, Max, do you copy? It's Will, over."

"Yeah, I copy," they both respond.

Robin turns on Dustin's walkie-talkie and says into it, "Erica, do you copy?"

"Mmhm, I copy," Erica replies. "You nerds in position or what?"

"Yeah, we're in position. It's all quiet here, so you've got the green light."

"Green light, copy that. Commence Operation Child Endangerment."

Lucas rolls his eyes and sighs exasperatedly while Robin says, "Can we maybe not call it that?"

"See you on the other side, nerds."

As Robin helps Erica find her way through the vents, Will keeps in contact with Mike, Max, and El who are biking to the pool. "What happens if Billy isn't the host?" Max asks.

"Then we figure out who is," Will says.

"He'll be pissed."

"Better than being the host."