Allocution

a/n: hi!! i've been reading a lot of ravenclaw harry fics, and i wanted to try my hand at it. this story is being cross-posted on ao3 (same title under the pseudonym artsy_hoe) and there are more chapters already up so check that out if you want to read ahead or see more in-depth tags and stuff. the first two chapters are inspired by 'by you, I am forever undone' by fairyleeann. they are an incredible author, so I recommend you check them out!! anyway, i hope you enjoy!!

Harry took a deep breath and exited the train, excited to start his 7th year, his last year at Hogwarts.  He would be taking his NEWTS and applying for apprenticeships, hooking up with girls and boys, and drinking liquor until dawn.  This year was his last chance to go out with a bang, though, as the first Potter in Ravenclaw in four centuries, he had made his mark already. 

He was jerked out of his thoughts by Hermione exclaiming, "Merlin, Harry, I forgot that the Minister was coming to this feast.  I just remembered cause I heard Greengrass and Parkinson talking about it." 

"Oh, Sweet Circe, I forgot too. Why's he coming again?"

Hermione looked at him like he was denser than limestone before replying in a droll voice, "He's coming to the Opening Feast because he's looking for an apprentice. That was all was in your letter, Harry.  Please tell me you read it."

"Hey!  I did. I just forgot."  Harry said defensively. 

A person next to him huffed, and he whirled around to see his second favorite person in the whole wide world (the first was Hermione) Draco!  He was dressed in his black robes, blue and bronze accents striking against his pale coloring.  And hadn't his sorting been a surprise.  It fit, though, and after several violent incidents in their first year, Draco had inserted himself into the fast-formed friendship Harry and Hermione had. 

It wasn't alright at first, with Draco being all snobbish about Hermione's status as a muggle-born and her home at Merope's Home for Mundane-Borns, but they eventually made a close friendship that Harry wouldn't change for the world. 

"Darling, you're spacing out again,"  Draco said, silky voice tiptoeing the line between friendly and outright flirtatious. 

Harry shook his head as if to clear out all the wayward thoughts in his mind, and he huffed a laugh, smiling softly at Draco, who flushed a pale pink.  Huh.  That was new.  His smile widened, and Draco's breath softly hitched.  This would have gone on further if Hermione hadn't linked arms with them and dragged them into a carriage, interrupting whatever that was. 

"Anyway, I'm quite intrigued on why he's coming to Hogwarts instead of having people apply like normal apprenticeships,"  Hermione said, addressing Harry and Draco in the comfort of the carriage. 

Sarcastically Harry replied, "He's the Dark Lord. Does he ever do anything normally?" 

That got him a sharp elbow in the ribcage from Draco, who hissed, "Don't be cheeky; he could be listening." 

Hermione and Harry looked at him unimpressed, but Draco remained unrepentant. 

Harry added, "He probably wants to see all his options. Not everyone good for the job would apply."

His two friends nodded their agreement, the conversation coming to a close as they arrived at Hogwarts.  The view never ceased to amazed Harry, even after all these years.  He let his magic stretch out, expanding and contorting in the air as they made their way inside towards the Ravenclaw table.  It was very rare that he could do this, but Professor Flitwick, his Head of House, theorized that it was because he was so powerful and so small.  He didn't take offense at that, even though he very well could have.  It was well known to those close to him that he was malnourished as a child and would likely never grow taller than his current 5'7".  Harry didn't mind overly about his height, though; he was the perfect height for Draco to put his chin on his head and the ideal size for a cuddle with Hermione.